Sign in to follow this  
nokiddin

Glue To Use On Filigree

Hey everyone.

I recently made some chinks that have veg tan tooled yokes with some filigree cut outs to allow the light grey colored leather underneath to show through. The filigree shapes are a cross and a gecko. I have an issue with the gecko. I did not stitch around it, as the gecko shape has several small tight corners etc that would be difficult to stitch. The problem is that the contact cement I used to glue the pieces together isn't cutting it to hold the veg tan down to the leather underneath and some pieces around the gecko are lifting away from the underlying leather.

I am wondering if there is a different glue that would be better to hold the pieces down if i fed some glue into the areas and clamped them down. I'd like to avoid stitching if possible because there is no way to follow the shape completely with stitching and the owner loves them the way they are (as long as I could get the edges to stay down)

Any ideas?

I would use a wet layer of contact on the filigreed side. Lay it in the back piece and weight it down till it dries. It will stick if you use quality glue (Renia, Barge, etc).

As said, I use Barge only and it WILL hold !!