oldskoolbob

Juki 563-3 Frozen Rock Shaft

Hey, I picked up a Juki 563-3. It has been stored for some time and the needle bar rock frame shaft has locked up.

It appears that some light rust developed on the parts in the uprise of the head. I have everything soaking in large amounts of Liquid Wrench.

I have read that a nice long kerosene bath can unlock an old rusted machine. Has anyone had any luck in saving a machine with a couple rusty moving parts?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

I got the frozen joints moving again. Liquid wrench and time did the trick. I pulled out the needle bar rock frame shaft and cleaned it up with copper wool and wadding cloth. The surfaces do not appear to be beyond hope. I read in the Navy 111W Service book that grinding compound on the shafts and bushings is the way to clean them up and marry them. I think the fun part will be timing all the shafts in the feed assembly. The same Navy book describes the procedure, though it is somewhat vague.

Bob