leathervan

Best Electric Lighting To Work Under

Of course sunlight is the best but what about electric lighting. What is the best for details?

I use T-8 florescent Daylight Bulbs, I have them in the ceiling for general light and then a 4 foot with 2 bulbs hanging over each table in the shop (dye, sewing, sanding and assembly), then a 4 bulb fixture hanging over my carving table with two florescent bulbs in moveable lamps on the carving table that are directed onto the slab.

Chief

I use T-8 florescent Daylight Bulbs, I have them in the ceiling for general light and then a 4 foot with 2 bulbs hanging over each table in the shop (dye, sewing, sanding and assembly), then a 4 bulb fixture hanging over my carving table with two florescent bulbs in moveable lamps on the carving table that are directed onto the slab.

Chief

great setup. I use something similar in my wood shop over my lathe.

A LED headlamp is a good auxiliary light source as well

I wear one when I stitch or tool

I favor fluorescent lighting, a large one to my left (because I am right-handed) slightly behind me, and a smaller one mounted over my slab, The diffused lighting combination pretty much eliminates shadows. I also have a desk lamp w/incandescent bulb I use once in a while for more intense lighting. When doing dye work on figure carving, and some floral ,.......the F-lights go off, and I use just the desk lamp for a directional one light source.

I managed to find a vintage Dazor lamp on eBay for about $40 shipped and it works great. No shadows, articulating arm, and little heat. It does buzz a little, but then I just turn the music up. :D