whitIL

How Do I Finish Edges In A Tight Place?

I'm sort of embarrassed to post this picture, but if I don't, how am I going to learn.

I saw a picture online of a luggage tag that I liked. I tried to make something like the one I saw. The luggage tag has a flap to hide the address, with a snap to reveal the address when needed. I thought I should finish the edges of the flap. I tried to use Bob Park's method <http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101>. Unfortunately I made a mess when I got down towards the bottom of the cut for the flap. It is very difficult to work on the flap there without getting stuff on the face of the leather. I'm not trying to save this project, just wondering if people have ideas about how to avoid this on the next one. Is there a tool to use in tight spaces, a way to protect the face of the tag while working, ???

00luggageTag_0367.jpg

I've thought about cutting the flap all the way to the end, finishing the edges of the flap, then sewing it back in place when I sew up the project. Maybe I should not finish the edges of the flap.

Thanks.

--Whit

Edited by whitIL

I say maybe your last statement is the answer. Usually the reason an edge is finished is to keep it looking nice, and able to stand up to daily abuse and wear. I don't see that need for your inside flap. I would just make sure that I made the cut for it very nice and clean with a sharp knife. I would also probably start the cut at both ends from a small punched hole.

I would suggest that you have a small radius on your outside corners to reduce that "ole dog eared" look that comes in time to square corners.

I have a flat thin stick with rounded edges about six inchs long and 3/4in wide made from a hardwood with a slick finish. As WyomingSlick said punch holes at both ends and slide the stick in and burnish, kinda like useing a file. Before you sew the pieces together.

Another method is to use something like a piece of canvas or denim to burnish the edges, it works remarkably well.

Thank you all for posting your replies and ideas.

It's great to have some people with more experience share their ideas.

I think I'll take some scrap and give several of them a try. Depending on how that works I'll see what I do next.

--Whit