Myriam

Question about moving to the US

Hello everyone! :)

It's been a while since I've checked the forum, been really busy. To sum it up, I'm in the process of moving to the US to get married. However, after searching the web, I'm still unsure whether I need an import permit or not. Here's what I have:

• cowhides (5 or 6, most of them are not full hides anymore)
  • kangaroo leather (bits and pieces, plus lace)
  • rabbit skins with the fur (most of them are bits and pieces, I might still have 1 or 2 full ones)
  • fox tails (3 or 4)
  • sheep skins with the wool on (bits and pieces)

Does anyone know if I might encounter problems at the border when I move? Do I need to get a permit to import these? If so, where do I get one?

The information I've found is cryptic at the best and keeps referring to other government departments where I can't find a clear answer. I don't even know who I would contact to get such a permit :P

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

As with all these type questions the best place to check is with the source. Customs is probably a hit or miss situation, depending on arrival time, hot shot TSA, or if it's cloudy out.

I did find this piece which gives a little info, and a phone number:

Fish & Wildlife Fish and Wildlife are subject to import and export restrictions, prohibitions, permits, certificates, and quarantine requirements that cover:

• Wild birds, mammals, marine mammals, reptiles, crustaceans, fish, and mollusks;
  • Any part or product thereof, such as skins, feathers, eggs; and
  • Products and articles manufactured from wildlife and fish.

Endangered species of wildlife and products made from them are prohibited from importation and exportation. All ivory and ivory products made from elephant or marine ivory are generally prohibited. Antiques containing wildlife parts may be imported provided they can be documented as being at least 100 years old.

Federal regulations do not authorize the importation of any wildlife or fish into any state of the United States if the state's laws or regulations are more restrictive than any applicable federal treatment. Wild mammals or birds taken, killed, sold, possessed, or exported to the United States in violation of any foreign laws are also not allowed entry into the United States.

If you contemplate importing articles made from wildlife such as tortoise-shell jewelry, leather goods, articles made from whalebone, ivory, skins, or furs, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Division of Law Enforcement, P.O. Box 3247, Arlington, VA 22203-3247, USA, before you leave for the States. Ask for the pamphlet Fish and Wildlife from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (for publications call 304-876-7203, or fax a request to 304-876-7689).

Myriam I came to the US from Canada 7 years ago on a K3 Visa (fiance marrige visa). Brought my shop with me and the leather was of no concern. If you are bringing firearms you need an export permit from the canadian gov't and import papers from ATF in Washington as well. Greg

Thank you for your replies, rdb and Greg.

I'll give the Fish & Wildlife Service a call to be on the safe side. I'm going to be nervous enough crossing the border with all my stuff without having to deal with this on top of all the rest. Better be safe than sorry! :)

No firearms here, just loads of stuff! :lol:

If you have all your paperwork approved and in order it is a real simple crossing. When I crossed I had all my personal effects plus all my shop equipment.. Approx.25 various firearms , they compared serial #'s on 3 guns to the paperwork and decided everything thing was in order stamped my passport and sent me on my way. I was there less than 30 minutes. that was two weeks before sept 11. I'm sure if I had been imediately after I might have been there a couple days. Rest easy if everything is in place is is a real simple crossing. Goodluck Greg

Thank you for the wishes, Greg. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see if I need any permits. Got tied up in something and then it was too late to call today.

I'll post the results in this thread in case anyone's interested to know.

No comments on the permits, etc., but Congrats on getting married!

Thank you, Mike :)

Myriam I made a mistake earlier when I said it was a K3 Visa, I should of said K1 Visa. I am assuming you have this in place. If you show up at the border without a visa they will deny you entry even if you have a wedding scheduled. Greg

Yup, we're towards the end of the K1. I have my interview this coming Friday morning. The last step before the big move! :)

I agree with BradB.

Pack them and send them ahead of you via postal or UPS.

If they are delayed for some reason, you won't be sitting waiting for them to clear so you can be cleared as well.

Just a thought.

Allen

PS. Congrats!

I'm starting to think this might be the way to go. And if they get confiscated, they do. Won't be any worse than not bringing them. However, I could be in for charges about trying to send stuff illegally. That's not good. I could always leave some of it here and do without it but the 'roo is just too nice and too expensive to leave behind.

On a side note, but related, I also discovered I have to check with CITES for the "export out of Canada" part. What a pain :wacko:

Who created those silly borders between countries? That was such a bad idea from the start I think. Anyways, I'll stop here or I'll start ranting.

Thanks for the feedback and congrats :)