lcmattson

Impossible Seam?

I am wanting to make a replica of a little pouch from the game Skyrim. I have the pieces cut and ready for a prototype, but I wanted some feedback on one of the seams.

Here's a screenshot of the little bag:

tumblr_n5zcx32nzR1rn2w3fo1_500.jpg

Now, it looks like it was sewn inside out, and then flipped so that the seams are on the inside, like you would do for a messenger bag, but there is lacing along the top flap, (I've concluded that there is a pocket on the inside of the top flap). My question is how might that work? A hidden seam plus outside lacing? I know that the folks who create these things don't necessarily care about how it would be made in real life, so it is entirely possible that this is impossible or unnecessary.

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to how to do this, or if this is a technique that I don't know about. Also, if anyone has any ideas about pattern layout, let me know. I did prototype one, but I haven't assembled it yet. I'm hoping to get a identical, or near identical, usable replica.

Thanks!

Perhaps the flap is also 2 layers sewn then turned Inside out as well, then lace with round leather cord

Well I'm certainly way too new to be giving leather construction advice so when the regulars here show up please pay way more attention to them. I just wanted to say kudos for making a Skyrim pouch! lol , I love that game.

I believe you are absolutely right in that the game designers don't care about construction - at least not to the point that we would as makers. I think there's no reason not to do it just like you said - sew the front flap inside-out and turn it so you have an inside pocket and then put decorative round lace on the front flap seam.

In fact - make the front flap and back side all one long piece - it does not appear to have a gusset so the main pouch will just be a larger piece of soft leather (milled would be great) sewn onto one end and the front flap pouch on the other end. Both inside out and then flipped. It looks like the design at the bottom of the main pouch can easily be carved.

Structurally speaking I think you need the softer milled type leather for the main pouches and back/front piece but you might want to add in a stiffer leather piece in back for support

Here's a sporran I made that kind of illustrates what I'm talking about regarding the back piece folding over to be the front flap - you would just sew the pouches to each end instead of having the gusset in there for the main pouch (This was my first attempt at a sporran - lots of things I'll do differently on my next):

11scb3a.png

5wxp9v.png

2wlue0j.png

Edited by HippieLee

On your paper pattern mark when the seam will be. Them mark say 3/4 inch back from the seam and puch holes in the top piece then mark 1/4 to 1/2 inch back from the bottom piece seam and punch holes. Fold your pattern like it was sewn and lace it. The front and back of the flap won't be glued so you should be able to lace it no problem.

If it has a pocket, you could sew two pieces together right sides together. On one side, on what will be the inside of the flap, there is a slash or a slot that will allow access to the pocket that will be formed by the two sides of the flap. Turn the flap right-side out by turning it through the pocket "hole".

Either that, or the front of the flap could be made as a two-piece top that is top-stitched to the underlaying part of the flap. The pocket(s) formed could potentially be accessed by a slash on the underside of the flap, or possibly at the top of the overlaying piece where it bends back around to the back of the pouch.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!