JoMama

Highlead Experiences - Good, Bad Or Indifferent

Hi All. First post after scouring the forum to pick a machine. I ended up buying a new highlead GC0618 and found a few issues that are making me wonder if I should send it back and get a similar Seiko or Juki. So, I'm looking for experiences from any Highlead users on quality and durability.

The first issue I had was it leaked oil from the reservoir. I pulled of the window and found the wick sandwiched between the gasket and the machine. Stuffed the wick back inside, reinstalled the window and it is fine now.

Second issue, after about 3 minutes of test sewing, one of the screws that hold the hook assembly to the shaft fell out. When I went to put it back in, I found another screw loose on the same part, so 2 of the 3 screws that fix the hook assy to the shaft were loose.

Third issue was that the presser foot would only raise 9mm instead of the 14mm specified with the knee lift. Had to find the adjustment piece and screw it in another 1/2", as there is nothing in the manual about it. It now has just over 13mm of clearance.

Fourth issue, the stitch length in reverse is about 2mm shorter than forward. Not a big deal with a long sttich length, but when the forward length is only 3mm, the reverse is only 1mm. To fix this, I would need to remove the linkage inside the machine and mill off some material from the reverse stop pad on the link. (I'm a mechanical engineer and machinist)

So given these issues, this machine is making me worry a bit. I can fix the reverse stitch length issue, but the question I have for those experienced with Highlead machines is, can I expect the machine to perform reliably for the next 15-20 years of low volume occasional production (20-30 hours per month of use) or should I throw another $250 - $450 at it and exchange it for a Japanese machine.

The machine is being used to sew urethane coated webbing, 3-4 layers of 40oz vinyl coated polyester (1/8"- 3/16" total thickness and 1/16" thick HDPE or Kydex sheet.

Thanks,

Jo

I'm pretty sure i have the same machine. I've had it a year or two and bought it second hand, i haven't had any problems but i don't use it alot. 99% of my sewing is done on a Ferdco 2000. Personaly i would of rather had a Juki but the one i have i bought for a good price.

I recently purchased a new Highlead 3 step zig zag for the factory. It's a fairly close clone of the Juki. The only reason I bought it was it was available within a week and the Juki was in Japan. I'll have the Juki next week and take the Highlead offline as a backup. The operator sets deer suede pads on Lycra equestrian pants, at full speed. I have it set to about 3300 spm. Before I let her go full speed, I opened the hook oiler wide open and set the servo for about 60%. I wanted to make sure I had oil everywhere. I do have to use silicone on the thread and a needle cooler to control the needle heat, but I had to do that on the old Juki I retired.

The problems that came up pretty quick included a broken take up spring, the thread kept removing itself from the roller tension so I added a pinhole guide inline with the disk. The operator jammed it good, wrapping thread around the basket which required removing the hook. I was pleased to find a Seiko hook from Japan inside. Timing it was straight forward. There were some cosmetic issues and it's not the same overall quality of the Japanese made Juki. I figured we'd get about a year out of it running 40 hours/week, but it will make an ok backup.

My advise is to get as familiar with your machine as you can. I get familiar with new machines by studying the parts books, it's always worked for me. I am a bit disappointed in the manual for the Highlead, it's pretty vague. I'm curious how your manual is and if this is a trademark of the Highleads.

Regards, Eric

Thanks for the feedback. I'm seeing a trend, which is "I'd rather have bought a Juki"

My thread kept coming out of the roller tension as well until I noticed a tiny tab at the 11:00 position that it needs to go over, but is impossible to do without using something sharp to help it around the tab.

Anyway, the decision was made for me when I sat down at the machine yesterday and noticed another problem, the tension will not release because the linkage does not even begin to touch the release pin with the foot up. I'm not sure if that can be adjusted, but I'm done with it. Too many things wrong in the first few days is a good sign that the people that built this machine were asleep at the wheel and the "inspected by" tag is just a hood ornament.

It's going back and getting replaced by a Juki 1541S.

I probably should have considered the time of year when buying something Chinese. All the workers go home for a month during Chinese New Year and many of them do not return to their jobs after, so there is always a lot of worker training going on in March and a couple months later that product hits the US market.

There are a couple of issues here;

1/ if you are going to run a machine 40 hours per week then spend the big dollars and buy something from Japan. The majority of my customers are only using machines for hobbies but I do get the occasional commercial user asking for a quote and I turn them away because they want a machine that will run week in, week out for 20 years.

2/ Chinese machines are only as good as the dealer who sets it up before delivery

If you buy a Chinese built machine and it is delivered in an unopened box then do not accept the delivery.

Greetings Darren!

I bought the Highlead and the Juki at the same time. The Highlead was less than a week away, The Juki was in Japan and 8 weeks away. There wasn't a single Juki available anywhere in the States and I needed a machine asap. I knew I could get the Highlead to work, which I have until my Juki arrived. It's just not a solid enough build for daily factory use. Oh, I forgot to mention the bobbin winder died the second day. Having a serrated metal plate driving the winder which has a rubber ring on it is a bad plan. I installed a regular table mount bobbin winder. In the Highleads defense, it was half the price of the Juki.

Regards, Eric

Like said, the out of box setup is key. Eric made mention of an internal bobbin winder with O ring running off of a serrated metal plate. Lots of machines to this, and this is not at all a Highlead exclusive. And, like Eric said, I've seen lots of problems with the internal bobbin winders, but never one on a side table mount running off the motor drive belt.