BAD HIDE

No Leatherwork This Week, Did Some Horse Wranglin Instead.

Looks like a thoroughbred to me

Nice job

Really nice. I need to build a new one and like your design. What's the clearance on your jaws? It looks like enough to sew saddle skirts.

Really nice. I need to build a new one and like your design. What's the clearance on your jaws? It looks like enough to sew saddle skirts.

It's 16" to that support block, 22" above the seat. Since I scrapped the leather strap and rerouted the rope to under the seat, that big support block serves almost no purpose, and I could chop it down some if needed. I might do that anyway, just angle it up to keep some support there.

I didn't have any plans or real progress pics, but I could be persuaded to do more detailed write-up if there's interest.

To give an idea of the reroute, I added a spring and pulley system under the seat to take up slack on the tension. With this close of an anchor point to the hinge, the rope doesn't move very far to get it to close. I was having trouble finding a happy medium with the ratchet mechanism, it was too loose at any given slot but not enough slack to get to the next one. I tried higher up to alleviate this, but it still sucked. With a spring, I can crank down as hard as I want, all the way to the bottom slot, and the jaws just get tighter. Now I get the full jaw depth with nothing in the way. :thumbsup:

or just squint at this crappy cell phone pic from the front to try and decipher it.

KvCSXan.jpg?1

Edited by BAD HIDE