Phillip Carr

Inlaying Objects In Leatherwork

So I'm wanting to inlay some pretty thin mother-of-pearl I found at the river in some 10-12oz leather. My first thought was a Dremel router bit, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? On a side note, I'd also like to know if anyone has found a Dremel cutting bit that you can push the leather against while the Dremel rests in a press, in practice like a bandsaw or jigsaw maybe?

Thanks!

Hi Phillip,

If I were inlaying that I would sandwich the mother of pearl between two layers of leather, with the outer layer having an opening slightly smaller than the piece inlayed in it.

Bob

great advice! I like that the top layer helps hold the piece in place, now, how do I taper the leather just right to make the MOP flush with the leather?

Thanks

You could skive around the edges of the opening in the leather but you will need some material overlapping the edges of the MOP in order to hold it securely in place, at least with the method I'm describing. If you are trying to make the front of the MOP level with the visible layer of leather, you could somehow bond the material to the second layer of leather and then possibly wet mold the visible layer to the edges of the MOP. Once it dries there would be no guarantee you wouldn't have gaps between the leather and the stone you are inlaying, and the gaps could form over time as the item gets use. The leather would also do nothing to hold the material in place if your glue didn't hold for some reason.

If you are using very thin mother of pearl you may want to mount it to a backing like a piece of plastic. Something rigid that will give the mother of pearl extra support. It can crack.