Or is using shoe polish beneath a professional leatherworker, which I am not. Anyone use good ol shoe polish for their finish?

I have been known to use "neutral" as a first finish.

I have been known to use "neutral" as a first finish.

Agree, I use it from time to time to get a nice sheen before I apply a final finish, I wouldn't consider shoe polish a "finish", but that's just me, I could be wrong, it happens a lot lately.

Chief

I'm embarrassed to ask this but is there a best way to actually polish shoes right? I have a couple pairs of nice leather shoes and so far they haven't needed a big-time polish but I can foresee a time when, after long use, they fall into a disheveled state and it would be downright scandalous to walk around in poorly cared for shoes and also try to call myself a leather worker. I'm new at leather so I give myself that excuse but I can't, in good conscious, continue that charade forever.

Is there something in the manufacturing of shoe polish that makes it good for shoes but not so good for leather-work in general?

And when you guys say "first finish" do you mean even before dye? Or just the first thing after dying? or could be either?

I'm embarrassed to ask this but is there a best way to actually polish shoes right? I have a couple pairs of nice leather shoes and so far they haven't needed a big-time polish but I can foresee a time when, after long use, they fall into a disheveled state and it would be downright scandalous to walk around in poorly cared for shoes and also try to call myself a leather worker. I'm new at leather so I give myself that excuse but I can't, in good conscious, continue that charade forever.

Is there something in the manufacturing of shoe polish that makes it good for shoes but not so good for leather-work in general?

And when you guys say "first finish" do you mean even before dye? Or just the first thing after dying? or could be either?

After dying, I just don't think that shoe polish seals the leather to prevent dye "rub off", it is more of a conditioner and "polish", a good finish would be like Clear Lac, Resolene, Mop&Glo, etc. The resolene, tankote, and mop&glo are normally cut 50/50 with distilled water. Either of those is a decent "finish", i also use Fiebings Aussie on leather that will be used outdoors a lot (rifle slings, etc)

Chief

Thank you Chief!

You should polish shoes before they even get close to looking disheveled. Take a rag and get a dab of polish on it. Put your other hand in the shoe to hold it. Rub that dab into the leather in a circular motion. Get another dab and rub it in, overlapping the first. Continue all over the shoe, then go back and start all over and repeat 2 or 3 or 5 times. You sort of want to slowly fill the pores.

Let it dry for a while and then use a soft cloth to buff the hell out of it.

In the service, we used a piece of nylon hose (pantyhose), and spit on the shoe, then polished.. hence the term "spit polish". It takes a lot of work to get a mirror shine, but looks great.

The spit polish is optional, but once you have put on your initial coats of polish, usually a single coat rubbed in, dried and buffed will keep them looking new.

Thank you Tom! Should I try to find polish colored the same as the shoes or is there a clear/neutral color that works for all? I really like the color of these shoes and I'm worried about changing it by not finding the right shade...

On the other hand, I don't want to derail leathervan's thread even more off course than I already have - thank you very much for the exact instruction I needed. (And thank you OP for indulging my side trip here).

I've only used black and brown on those colored shoes. From what I understand, neutral is for those other colors....

If your shoes have no scuffs, abrasions, or deep scratches, you can use neutral. Use same color polish to fix the shoes. Then you could use neutral but I wouldn't.
I work with a lot of natural leather. I started showing a few pictures with tan and some dark color and, apparently, people like it. I use NF first and give it a nice tan. I use the neutral polish to bring out the grain and I finish with Leather Sheen.