Cletus2014

Is This An Antique Finish?

I'm trying to figure out how to do a finish like this and I can't seem to find anything on antiquing that described this process. I borrowed this image (if you are the maker, I hope you don't mind my using your excellent work as an example) of an iPhone case to show how this maker has done the finish.

I love how the dark brown transitions to black near the edges and can't figure out how to get this affect. Is this just a black antique gel around the edges, with brown in the middle? Anyone know how to get this effect?

post-51968-0-63789700-1404582723_thumb.g

Looks like a Saddle tan antique base coat, then they took some black alcohol dye and wiped it on the edge and rim. Then rubbed it out with a cloth and saddle soap. You could also give it the saddle tan or whatever the base coat is, and then lightly burst the edges with black dye and an airbrush or sponge.

Edited by Colt W Knight

So if I used the antique tan, for instance, as the base coat, would I let it dry completely before applying the black? When you say "alcohol" dye, is that just leather dye that isn't oil dye? Does the base coat actually resist the black from penetrating completely into the leather?

I basically understand what you're describing here, just not quite clear on how to go about it.

Any other suggestions for achieving this finish?

Airbrush is the easiest way. Oil dye is alcohol based, and includes some amount of oil.

There are lots of examples on this site. Try searching for dye and airbrush, then figure out how to limit the results to be what you are looking for.

Look for work done by AndyL1, Blackthorn Leather. Has really nice work.

Tom