DianeWood

Spots And Swarvoski Rimsets

Can I put spots and rimsets etc. through premade horse tack? Will the prongs come through the double layered leather and will they stay in place?

Thanks, Diane

I'm sure you could find them long enough to go through the thick leather but it's going to be uncomfortable for the horse without a lining put on top of them. Cheryl

Would i have to sew the lining on the premade tack that is already sewen or cement glue it or is there another way?

For it to stay the only way you can do it is sew it on. I wouldn't trust it to stay any other way. Cheryl

Yes you can put spots on premade tack. An you do not need a lining, the horse will never know they are there.

Dan

Spots come with a 5/16" prongs, so sometimes a premade, doubled and stitched item is too thick for the legs to clinch on the back side. If not clinched, they will come out. You can buy barbed spots, for exactly that purpose, (setting in material that is too thick for the spot to go through and clinch). As far as the back side being uncomfortable for the horse without a lining, most of the straps that are spotted on a horse harness are of single thickness, and the only time horse comfort is ever an issue is if the spots are not properly clinched to start with. Use a spot setting machine so that the prongs are curled around and clinched into the back side of the leather. Poking 2 holes with an awl and bending the prongs over with a needle nose pliers is a piss poor way to set spots on horse tack, not to mention it is nearly impossible to space and set them to appear perfect and consistent. Standard Rivet's #2 machine is a good one to start with.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Where could I get barbed spots from? And do I need a different tool to set them with or just a spot setting tool. Also where and how much is a setting machine?

Thanks, Diane

Diane, both the barbed spots and setting machines are available from Standard Rivet Company. They have a website. I've only used a "spot setting tool" enough to know that I never want to use one again, and enough to decide that if I was gong to set more than a handful of spots, I was going to get a machine. I have 2 automatics and 3 single feeds, wouldn't give any of them up for love nor money. Well, maybe enough money would change my mind. . .