Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Newbie motorcycle seat questions

Hey guys jsut starting to get into this stuff and will be trying some other things first to get started but the whole goal was to redo my motorcycle seat and that is why I am now ending up with another hobby it looks like.

Anyways just a couple questions, I am going to be dyeing the leather grey so I got some black and white dye (fiebings) since I was told that you can mix them to obtain the grey you want. ALso I got some super shene (eco flo) to seal the leather with once Im done. Now I realized that the ecoflo isnt a oil based or whatever but since its the sealer and wont be mixed with the dye persay will this be a issue.

What do you guys use to seal up your motorcycle seats?

The leather I got is some 4/5oz veggie tan, it seems pretty flexible but the lady at tandys said it would allow some tooling and still be a good strong leather that I could dye to whatever color I wanted.

What kind of leather do you guys use on your seats (generally)?

Thanks for the info Ill be back after work to check up on what you guys suggest.

Oh and heres a pic of my bike, the reason I wanted to redo the seat in the first place was the stocker isnt that comfy for long cruises and I was planning on using some high density foam with a thin layer of memeory foam and if I can find one a gel insert for the center seat area.

resized_lena_pic.jpg

post-5781-1201036691_thumb.jpg

I know you didn't ask, but hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice ...

On the memory foam - be aware that unless you can find a supplier that has the really high-density stuff, it kind of poops out after a while, i.e., takes a set and compresses. that's even more of a concern for the thin layer you're talking about. (Just to be clear, I am referring to the memory foam and not the high-density upholstery foam you also mentioned.)

Gel plus memory foam sounds like overkill. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this, but it also seems that two body conforming layers would work against each other.

Bill

Cant help you on the seats... still working and learning myself... but from talking to other riders... the gel seats are ok for around town use, but not for long rides..... it conforms to your curves, but after a bit, it is hard and un-giving... I do have a card from a gel maker that I picked up at a rally... I will look for it and post it here for you when i find it.

I use belting leather from Hermann Oak - 98% waterproof. For that other 2%, I use acrylic finish. I also genuine exotic skins - none of that embossed wanna-be stuff:

Bike1a.jpg

Bike1.jpg

That's shark on the seat and the saddle bag. As expected, both have weathered extremely well, and I ride nearly every day. We're just about finished with a seat that has hippo on it. The next one will be either elephant or zebra - haven't decided yet. While I won't boast about who rides our seats, I do know that we've not had any complaints from any of the users.

Best of luck to you and be sure to post pics of what you do.

Thanks for the advice on the foams and Ill do some more research on them. If anything some nice high density foam will be better then what comes stock so even if I jsut do that then it will be much nicer.

That seat looks good and comfy, I may use the leather I got for playing around with then when I get a little more comfortable with my abilitys Ill take a look into finding some more exotic and tougher leathers.

Bcurrier, glad you mentioned that about the gell pad. I wondered if it would start choking the boys after awhile. But one application I heard in another thread said to cover the gell with neoprene, that ought to contain the gell without relieving the cush, what do you think? GH

You want neoprene for the seat foam....the gel seat pads are only 3/4" thick. but you could put 3/4" neoprene on the pan, then another 3/4" on top of that with a cutout for the gel...then add about 1/8" neoprene on top of every thing. Should get you the results you want. Neoprene is available in a variety of thicknesses and there is one place Foam and More in Michigan that will put a self adhesive on the back for you. But by all means use neoprene, it is the stuff the use to pad lawn furniture and boat seats....it will not retain water.

Dave Theobald

You want neoprene for the seat foam....the gel seat pads are only 3/4" thick. but you could put 3/4" neoprene on the pan, then another 3/4" on top of that with a cutout for the gel...then add about 1/8" neoprene on top of every thing. Should get you the results you want. Neoprene is available in a variety of thicknesses and there is one place Foam and More in Michigan that will put a self adhesive on the back for you. But by all means use neoprene, it is the stuff the use to pad lawn furniture and boat seats....it will not retain water.

Dave Theobald

Thats a great idea. Hadnt thought of the neoprene, good call. Thanks