taiden

Get A Bag To Hold It's Sides In (Permenant Fold In Leather?)

Hey all, not sure if this is possible but here goes. I can't accurately identify the leather used. It was from a side purchased from Hartland Tannery in central Maine. From memory, it is 5 oz. Not sure how it was tanned.

post-54148-0-47124400-1407081445_thumb.j

I'd like to get this thing to hold in tighter on its own if possible. I had imagined something like a paper grocery bag.

post-54148-0-19233000-1407081530_thumb.j

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Luke

run a creaser down a straight edge and fold the leather over and use something like a press or books to hold it down for a while. Water on the fold line could help it fold easier.

Oil tan leather (first pic) doesnt hold its shape that well. Most bags use veg tan for rigidity (moulded to the shape) or at very least a stiffener like hard plastic sandwiched between thin leather.

Edited by DavidL

If you haven't already, . . . you might try dunking it, . . . in water, . . . it doesn't look veggie tanned, . . . but that will be the test that will tell.

Personally, I would be tempted to get a veg tan belt strip, . . . lace it all around the top up there, . . . soak it down with hot water and set it in the sun, . . . if you bend it where you want it, . . . it will help, . . . will not cure, . . .

If you REALLY want it to hold that square shape, . . . lace on the strip, . . . but put a piece of 18 gauge aluminum between the layers, . . . bend the aluminum, . . . it will work.

But remember in the end, . . . leather doesn't really lend itself to bags like that, . . . think "saddlebags", . . . they always have a clasp, and a top to pull them together.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Hey all, thanks for the replies and ideas. This bag is getting a top flap with some kind of clasp. Would like it to come in nicely though, when buttoned up.

i use a fabric stiffener that's sold at a fabric store....joann fabrics carries it. i can't remember the name of it. you buy it by the yard and you can get it in different densities. it's kind of like a white polyester mat. cuts easily with scissors or a knife. it can be glued to the inside of the bag and lined with either fabric or leather. you might want to look into it.