rawhidebystretch

Are Tables Universal?

I asked this question in a separate thread,but thought it might get more views in a new post. I see sewing machines sold as "head only" all the time. I know what this means,but do most all heads fit with most all tables and motors,or are measurements needed to make sure they are compatible? I have an industrial sewing machine,but if I can interchange heads,that would open a whole new world to the different types of machines I can cram into my little shop. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Tables are not universals but a lot of flat bed machines have very similar bed dissensions. I`m using a Singer 111G156 and a Singer 307G2 on one table as both machines have the same size flat bed. This saves me a lot of space as the 307G2 is not my "main machine" but I use it for zig zag and lighter flat stuff. I just need a 2nd V-Belt which is permanently hanging on my speed reducer so I can switch between the machines in just a few seconds.

But there are also longer flat beds for example some older Pfaff or Duerkopp have longer flat beds because the same machines housings were used for single and double needle machines.

The modern motors have all the same mounting holes but older motors may have different holes. I know older motors with 4 mounting holes but most have just 3.

A lot of standard size industrial sewing machine beds measure 7" x 19". If your machine has that size bed and you buy a table with a 7" x 19" cutout, other similar size machines will fit into the cutout. However, that is not the end of the story. The knee lever may not line up or engage the machine at all if the make and lift system are different. The height and diameter of the machine pulleys will vary, requiring different drive belts and motor height adjustments.

I have two machines now that could share the same cutout. But the knee lever and motor position would need to be changed. It is simpler to have each one on its own table.

I have always wanted a post bed machine,but could never afford the whole setup. I have a consew 225 that was basically handed to me,but that's still not a post bed. $700 or so for a head is much more realistic to me than $1600-sky's the limit. Are there any machines that you know for sure would work with this setup?

there are too many different machines out there to know all the specs.

I think it "could" be possible that you find one that works. But remember, the post bed machines have a much higher positioned hand wheel so the position of your motor pulley is important because the angle of the V- belt is different. So you may change the position of the motor or extend the V-belt slot in the table. Like I said, I have two Singers and the only thing I have to change is th V-Belt. That works because the hand wheel position is almost the same.

The singer post bed I have is about 21x7 so I have a second table for it.