BillB

Weaver Power Edge Slicker

Okay, after hearing many positive things, I made my decision and I bought mine from. Can wait to get it, hopefully I'll have the same positive feed back as the rest of you. Bree thanks for your help. Daniel.

Bree, better do that groove with the screw-driver shaft too, or else Ivan will make you stay after school.

I sent him a picture of mine after setting it up and trying out like you did, and he noticed right away I was breaking the rules,,,,he let me know it.....so chop chop... :blahblahblah:

All I want is everyone who uses my burnisher to have a good experience. I have had problems using water and noted that staring a grove makes it work better faster. Just trying to help. Not a rule just trying to help out fellow leather crafters.

Thanks.

Ivan

hi everyone,

I noticed that when I line a belt , whatever edge slicking I do the glue between the layers of leather is still showing, can anyone recomand a way to avoid it ?

Thanks

Patrick

hi everyone,

I noticed that when I line a belt , whatever edge slicking I do the glue between the layers of leather is still showing, can anyone recomand a way to avoid it ?

Thanks

Patrick

My self, I can't always avoid it, but here's how I fix it.....I use a piece of fine snadpaper to take that glue off before I burnish, sand in one direction. You may have to re-dye the edge again before you burnish.

I didn't know what rpms my "used to be a sewing machine" machine turned so I set out to find a motor that Ivan recommends....I told a knife buddy of mine what I was looking for and BINGO...."I think I may have something like that in the barn"...out he comes with a never used/ still in the box Dayton 1/2 hp, 1725 rpms he bought at a flea market years ago because "I didn't need it but I couldn't pass up the good deal"

All he wants for it is a sheath for his new knife...but I'm making him a belt to match too.

I'll be wiring it up this week-end....moral of the story....ASK AROUND!!!!

I also found one on Craigs list for $25, but it had a 1" shaft......they're out there!

All I want is everyone who uses my burnisher to have a good experience. I have had problems using water and noted that staring a grove makes it work better faster. Just trying to help. Not a rule just trying to help out fellow leather crafters.

Thanks.

Ivan

I am a member of the Ivan Fan Club. He rocks! Of course I never listen exactly to anything anyone says but that is just my 60's rebellious nature!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Although Ivan makes a "wonderful" machine, I was still wondering if anyone would care to answer my original question?????

BillB.

I just bought the wooden roller and put it on my machine. It does ok but not great.

I bought a set of sanders and took the foam part off and screwed it to the base of the burnisher and used that to connect to my motor. The other one I took off the sand paper and put on a piece of Cordura. I like it better than the wood.

Art

Burnisher3.jpg

post-195-1226547195_thumb.jpg

Although Ivan makes a "wonderful" machine, I was still wondering if anyone would care to answer my original question?????

BillB.

Bill, looks to me that the Weaver Power Edge Slicker users haven't weighed in yet....or....there ain't any amoung us....(?)

I just bought the wooden roller and put it on my machine. It does ok but not great.

I bought a set of sanders and took the foam part off and screwed it to the base of the burnisher and used that to connect to my motor. The other one I took off the sand paper and put on a piece of Cordura. I like it better than the wood.

Art

BTW Art... Ivan's motor would be an excellent replacement for your motor if it ever gives up the ghost! And wow! I used to have that exact drill press vise! And that C-Clamp looks pretty darn familiar too!! I love old tools! LOL!

:jawdropper:

BillB.

Bill,

I had one for a short while I got with some other stuff in a trade. I can think of things that are worth more than $450 in my shop than the Weaver slicker if I was buying it new. The biggest problem I had was I don't like the horizontal axis. On large pieces it was hard to hold them and keep a constant pressure and movement without them flopping all over or the table/motor interefering with keeping them in contact. For straps, it is alright. I like the spindle type slickers in a drill press. I checked and the pulley chart tells me I run it at 1100 rpm.

One thing that is emerging in this whole thread is there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. It looks like once a guy gets the speed, roller material, burnishing medium, and pressure figured out for him, then good results can come from a lot of different setups.

for any one who's purchased this product and does not want to mess with the wiring, Harbor freight tools sells the pictured foot switch for about $10 bucks. Daniel

foot_switch_item_96618.gif

foot_switch_item_96618.gif

post-5249-1226697962_thumb.jpg

post-5249-1226697993_thumb.jpg

for any one who's purchased this product and does not want to mess with the wiring, Harbor freight tools sells the pictured foot switch for about $10 bucks. Daniel

Yep that's a winner I want one!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

BTW Art... Ivan's motor would be an excellent replacement for your motor if it ever gives up the ghost! And wow! I used to have that exact drill press vise! And that C-Clamp looks pretty darn familiar too!! I love old tools! LOL!

:jawdropper:

I love the old tools too! I inherited them from my dad. This buffer I got when a friend was moving and was going to throw it away. The scrounger that I am I took it home and it worked great! At the time I wasn't doing leather work.

Art

The actual price at the store is 12.99, here's a link to a coupon for $10.99. Daniel

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/emails...mp;r=3253_48865

Wrong link.

Art

Bill,

I had one for a short while I got with some other stuff in a trade. I can think of things that are worth more than $450 in my shop than the Weaver slicker if I was buying it new. The biggest problem I had was I don't like the horizontal axis. On large pieces it was hard to hold them and keep a constant pressure and movement without them flopping all over or the table/motor interefering with keeping them in contact. For straps, it is alright. I like the spindle type slickers in a drill press. I checked and the pulley chart tells me I run it at 1100 rpm.

One thing that is emerging in this whole thread is there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. It looks like once a guy gets the speed, roller material, burnishing medium, and pressure figured out for him, then good results can come from a lot of different setups.

Bruce Thanks for the insight. I have yet to decide which way I want to go on this, horizontal or vertical. I do leather Bifold Notebooks which are big and custom holsters that can be rather small. I also do purses which can have both large and small pieces that should have their edges burnished or finished off. Since folks had discussed how good Weaver products are, I thought I would ask. I am currently using muscle power and Dermal Power. I have a Radial Arm saw that could give me both axis, but is not in a good location at this time. I will have to check the motor speed since it is direct drive. Again, thanks for the insight.

Art it's the correct link, when you click on it, scroll down, then click for more coupons which will route you to next page. Daniel.

Art it's the correct link, when you click on it, scroll down, then click for more coupons which will route you to next page. Daniel.

See it in action here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1uMUSZlgyjg

Bob Stelmack

I had my doubts, even after I purchased it, but after seeing the video (which was something I asked for in one reply) I know I made the right decision. Thanks Bob.

I got the new motor hooked up (1725 rpm), saw the video......I'm good to go!!

Thanks Ivan!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

IMG_9857.jpg

I got a couple of those Harbor Freight pedal switches and I also found something I have been wanting to try for some time. I think I mentioned somewhere that I wanted to mix some beeswax and carnauba wax for the purpose of burnishing.

Well I found a product with the wax pre-mixed in paste form. It is from England and it is named Antiquax. It is designed for wood care.

I tried some Antiquax on some scrap leather today with Ivan's machine and I got a very very nice glossy burnish. The carnauba lets me put extra pressure on the leather without burning it as the hard carnauba wax has a higher melting point... about 40 degrees higher than beeswax.

I like Ivan's wax but I also like the Antiquax which is a softer paste. I applied it with my fingertip. It's nice to have several options.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Bree ,

Can you tell me precisely which antiqax products you have tried , they have so many that I dont know which one to get .

Thanks

Patrick

for any one who's purchased this product and does not want to mess with the wiring, Harbor freight tools sells the pictured foot switch for about $10 bucks.  Daniel

I know this is a old thread but I was hopping someone could confirm that the harbor freight peddle will work here? I was thinking of using it for a similar application but decided agent it as it states that it can not be used or motors that use a soft start capacitor, like the one shown.

if youre talking about a foot operated speed control, they will only work with a motor that has brushes....a brushless motor might work for a while, but, you'll burn it up