Sign in to follow this  
sodapop

do roses & sheridan style scrolls go together??

okay i'm trying to do something a little different here...but i'm honestly not sure if these 2 mesh well together...or do roses need to be in thier own seperate world/own entity that way??

i know theres no set rules for artwork persay...but there is things that compliment eachother & others that simply don't...is my question with the roses one of those that don't go well with the other??...and if i tried it...folks would be like what the hell was he thinkin lol

i would really appreciate some feedback from those that do alot of sheridan work...

regards, darryl

Like peas and carrots, biscuits and honey, and kids and mud. There are some very well done tame roses and Sheridan style scrolls that have been done. Someone who has the King of the Western Saddle book about Don King and the Sheridan Style Carving book handy can point you to an example or two. I heard Lloyd Davis (?) did some good ones too.

Some guys will put oak leaves and acorns on the same stem as flowers and beech leaves. I think we had a Sheridan scrolls and skulls example here a while back. Anything goes.

In the "Sheridan Style Carving" book by Bob Likewise, there are photos of a fully carved saddle by Chester Hape that should put your doubts to rest. Go for it!!

Mike

Hi Darryl,

Just check out some of Tina's work. She does a fantastic job with that. Ed

Darryl,

Go for it!

I did a sheridan style clutch purse a while back and added a rose and some other style flowers. It did not seem to go with the normal sheridan style, but when it was closed the rose side seemed to look right.

The main thing is the customer/recepient is happy with the finished product. Glad to say mine was.

Johnny

reason i ask is that i see mostly every other type of typical flower incorporated "within" the traditional scrolls and such...but rarely do i see roses within etc...and as some have said its been done...trying to find examples on the net...but nothing quite as i'm invisioning so far...

so when i try and wrap my head around it...i run into a few snags lol...like one is that rose leaves in conjunction with the other sheridan leaves and such...don't go together...roses = sharp defined edged leaves...typical sheridan leaves = smooth rounded...

maybe i just leave off the rose leaves and just have the rose tops & buds along with the sheridan scrolls...but then i think with out some rose leaves atleast under the tops...it would look off as well??

or plan c...scrap the sheridan foliage along with the roses...and just think of something creative with the roses, petals and stems...but then that seems just A typical and somewhat blah...like stale bread lol

i appreciate all the info thus far folks...and more the merrier ;0) ...dunno why but i got "leather block" of the brain on this one...

darryl

p.s its for a smaller cross shoulder purse...

Edited by sodapop

Darryl- Since I have done ZERO Sheridan please take this advice with a stiff drink - but I don't see where there would be any kind of problem combining the different leaves together. Think flower bouquet. Not every flower has the same leaf type. (Take another sip now.) That said, when I see Sheridan style I see more of the pattern and flow than I do the particular subject when I first look at it. I would play around with the pattern you like, then try putting in the different flower and leaf elements. I wouldn't call it traditional, but I think it should work.

Crystal

Darryl,

Here's a link that has some pictures of Chester Hape's work, including a saddle with his style of Sheridan roses. They're not really a traditional style rose, but I really like the look. I agree with Bruce, anything goes if you like it. Al Gould carves oak leaves and acorns with acanthus leaves, seemed really weird to me the first time I saw it, but it works for him. And the Sheridan carving with the skulls is about as far out there as you can get, but I thought it was a great idea. Bob Beard has a rose belt on his site that has a his "signiture" scrolls on it.