Sign in to follow this  
kalliergo

Using the Hansen String Cutter

First, I need to say that I continue to be blown away by the generosity and expertise of this online community. I just wander around, reading and marveling...

As I said when I introduced myself, I've bought a Hansen string cutter, because I knew that (although it's not an inexpensive tool) I wouldn't be able to afford enough pre-cut lace to really teach myself about braiding.

I've had a chance to play with the Hansen a bit, now, and it seems like a solid, simple, sensible way to cut strings and straps. However, I haven't gotten anywhere close to being able to do that well, or even acceptably, yet. I'm having trouble developing the technique and "feel" needed to get even lace. I either need to get a lot better or find projects that use wavy, irregular, unpredictable-width strings. :unsure:

So, are there any experts with the Hansen around here? I think I could use guidance and/or instruction.

-Doug

Well, I don't use a Hansen. I'm hoping to buy one shortly, so I can't offer you any advice on using that particular machine. However, it is important to know what you are cutting. Roo Hide, leather, rawhide...?

Sharp blades are a must with any cutting tool, as is proper and consistant tension. Maybe someone else can help with the specifics.

... it is important to know what you are cutting. Roo Hide, leather, rawhide...?

...Sharp blades are a must with any cutting tool...

Thanks, rawhider. I've been practicing mostly with some cowhide splits, about 5 oz or so. This stuff wouldn't produce good lace for finished products (rough and suede-y on both sides), but it's pretty consistent thickness, not too stretchy, etc. Also, of course, it doesn't cause me *too* much pain as I mess it all up.

I think my near-term goals will likely be braided in Roo, and I'm willing to sacrifice some to my ham-handed self-education process, if that's what's required to learn how to cut lace well.

I'm a pretty good sharpener, and I'm lucky to have a Tormek, so keeping a razor edge on the the Hansen's blades is pretty easy.

Maybe I just have to keep practicing...

cutting lace with any type of cutter is a learning process. learning on the suede is a good idea, and you can braid some nice things with suede, i dont know what kinds of things your looking to do but ive made some fabulous dog leashes and stuff out of it. try cutting wider lace then if it comes out uneven try to narrow it down slightly. the down side of suede is it is slightly harder to cut than the thinner smooth leathers. roo cuts like butter but is expensive to learn on.

cutting lace with any type of cutter is a learning process. learning on the suede is a good idea, and you can braid some nice things with suede, i dont know what kinds of things your looking to do but ive made some fabulous dog leashes and stuff out of it. try cutting wider lace then if it comes out uneven try to narrow it down slightly. the down side of suede is it is slightly harder to cut than the thinner smooth leathers. roo cuts like butter but is expensive to learn on.

Thanks, Tracy. I'll keep working on it.

BTW, Hershey isn't so far from the Nebraska Panhandle and Sandhills, where I roamed for much of the 90's (work stuff). I love the High Plains. Sensible, sincere, and *tough* people live there.

-Doug

kalliergo

Make sure that you have a nice oval or circle with the edges cut in a nice straight edge opposed to being cut in a wavy or irregular edge. And just keep practicing. Hope this helps

Mike

Make sure that you have a nice oval or circle with the edges cut in a nice straight edge...

Thanks, Mike. I try hard, but I've been cutting my circles freehand (after scribing with a compass, of course), so they certainly aren't perfect. Maybe I should get a circle cutter to make that faster, easier and cleaner.

-Doug

I"m not a braider but, I laughed after reading your post on the Hanson string cutter. Been there done that! I worked for a saddle co in Ariz and the boss's grandson worked there also. The grandson wanted one of those cutters and so the boss bought one. I think he paid $3oo or so for it. It looked so simple to use but my strings were like the ones you described if I didn't end up cutting them in half. I quit using it and went back to hand skiving them. Bill, the boss , never let me forget about all the expensive tools he provided that I didn't use. Years later I bought one in Idaho from one of our customers and had the same results with it. I was going to list it on EBAY because I never used it. At Witchita Falls some one from Elko had one for sale and he showed me how it worked. It really worked good! Two days ago I found mine and tried it again and it works good too. So after 15 years of owning this thing I can say I beveled some good lace. I was skiving latigo for lace and it is easier than split. Consistent tension on the string was the important thing which is the thing when hand skiving also. ps: I also changed and used a sharp blade.

...At Wichita Falls some one from Elko had one for sale and he showed me how it worked. It really worked good! Two days ago I found mine and tried it again and it works good too. So after 15 years of owning this thing I can say I beveled some good lace...

That's some story, Ronny. It seems to prove that the string cutter *can* be used properly, if I eventually learn the skills. I hope it doesn't take me 15 years, though; I'm already getting just a little creaky. :(

Maybe I need to track you down, or that guy in Elko, and beg or pay for a demo...

-Doug

if your itchin to start braiding then while your still working out the bugs in the hansen go to tandy and buy one of those elcheapo little plastic lace cutters they sell...cuts lace out of a circle by starting in the center, and you can get alot of lace from small circles...since you dont split suede anyway it will get you started. actually ive been braiding for twelve years now, have made thousands of leashes and cut all my roo lace with the tandy lace maker....i get a huge amount of lace from a roo hide with this thing.

I'm thinking you might try cutting lace from leather with a little more body than suede. I learned to cut lace with rawhide and it is a little stiff when I cut my lace and that is much easier than leather that is very soft and flexible.

The hardest thing for me to learn was that no matter how well I thought I was doing, go slow. I have a lot of pieces of lace that are not long enough for the project they were started for. Practice!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Do you have Gail's book on cutting a hide? Easy to follow instructions and you can start on roo. As already stated a circle or oval is very important point. When I make a mistake it's usually because of a corner. What I do is find the center of the hide and then measure roughly were to start.

Oh and the circle cutter roo mentioned is great! I use it to cut up all my scraps! It's a must have.

Thanks, again, everyone!

I'll keep practicing, try the little lace cutter on scraps, spring for some kangaroo to see if that works better...

I don't have Gail's book, entiendo, but I'll get it. Her work is just stunning. She's a long drive north of here, but not *that* far. I've been thinking about trying to take a few lessons from her. Seems like it would be hard to find a better-qualified teacher.

-Doug

I have a used Hansen String Cutter up for auction on eBay if anyone is interested.