I have acquired a Landis 3 from a friend who passed away in the spring. He had rarely if ever used it, preferring his much-easier-to-use Landis 1 for the occasional sewing job that presented itself to him. It seems very tight and shows minimal wear. I cleaned everything I could access and oiled it well before even turning it over. It still had linen thread on the bobbin but no thread on top. We could not find a manual for the machine but after some fiddling around and re-threading the machine a couple times before I got it right, it did sew. I rewound a bobbin with some 277 nylon and also used 277 on the top, mainly because my 346 was at the other shop. It seemed like a smaller needle and awl could have been used with the 277 because the thread didn't fill the holes very well. Off hand I can't even remember what sizes the needle and awl were. I ran a Randall for a couple years, but it's been awhile ago, and there are some differences in the 2 machines. Mainly I need to know the needle/awl/thread combinations and how to make take-up adjustments. The take-up adjustment is completely different from what I remember about the Randall. Any of you guys out there who are experienced Landis 3 operators, I would appreciate hearing from you on any tips you have for me, and if anyone has a Landis 3 manual they'd be willing to part with or copy for me for less than the $24 plus shipping that Proleptic gets for one, I'd be interested in that as well. I will be using the machine primarily for saddle and harness work. Thank you for any help offered!

Firstly take the cheap useless crap nylon thread out of the machine and burn it, then apologise profusely to the beautiful impeccably engineered master lock stitcher, and get some quality thread which is LINEN!! and some liquid wax these are available from Campbell Boswell along with needles and awls and all the expert advice you will need.

Wow, thanks for the really helpful advice! If I knew I could buy excellent linen I would, because I like the look of linen, but mostly I've heard about how crappy linen thread is today, and we're better off using a good grade of synthetic. As expensive as linen is, I really don't want to get the money tied up in the 3 spools of black and 3 spools of white that I would need to do what I do, IF the thread is crap. If someone can verify that they are doing the type of work that I do, on a Landis 3, using a linen thread available in this country and having good results, then I've got no problem shelling out the bucks for it. I've heard both good and bad about the advice from CR, so what I was REALLY looking for here was advice from guys who have 20 or 30 years of daily experience sewing on a Landis 3, and the thread they use, and needle, awl, and thread combinations. IMO, THOSE guys are the experts. Personally, I've gotten poorer advice (no disrespect intended for any of the true sewing experts who post on this board) from someone sitting at a desk in an office at sewing machine company than I've ever gotten from guys out there actually making a living sewing on any given machine. So how 'bout it. . . any REAL advice??

Well that went nowhere? 

Lol, yeah, I've kind of gotten used to that!

5 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Lol, yeah, I've kind of gotten used to that!

I know your pain... I’ve been accused of that same “abrasive” personality as well??? 

You can use lubricated polyester in the Landis 3 DESPITE what other sewers say.  They use both linen and polyester thread in curved needles so sew on soles of shoes.  You will have to try both to see what woks best for you.