Thornale

Finishing Ostrich Leg

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a project where I will use some ostrich leg inlay and I was wondering what to use as a finishing product on it.

Thanks for the help !

I made a cellphone sleeve for myself and just used resolene. I put two coats on it and it's held up just great for 3 years now.

FWIW - If you're going to put a bend in it, be sure you glue the plates on the underside of the skin. I did that and added a roo skin lining. It has never separated at the plates.

Sounds cool! Any chance of a picture?

This sleeve has been in continuous use for about 3 years now. It has been subjected to typical abuse...left out in the rain, dropped from heights of 10 ft, in and out of jeans pockets. The only finishing I did on it was to apply 2 coats of Resolene. The only aging that it's showing is the lacing had worn to a darker color. Absolutely no plate separation either - and that includes the 180 deg turn at the bottom. I applied contact cement to the inside of the skin, let it dry for a day or two and added roo skin as a liner.

post-9389-0-37808800-1412526412_thumb.jp

post-9389-0-42398500-1412526434_thumb.jp

Very cool. Thanks for the pictures and details!