Oldtoolsniper

Adler 30-1 Help

I have a used Adler 30-1 patcher. It came from a shoe repair shop auction. I have the original instruction manual with the machine. It leaves a little to be desired for the un-experienced patcher operator.

The machine tag says 30-1

The book says the machine was bought in 1966 it is light grey in color. ( the date is not real clear and written in by hand) it might be 88 but I'm guessing 66 since the other equipment was some of the earliest made. A line shaft leather belt driven shoe finisher as an example.

I'm looking for an explanation on a couple of things.

Instructions state there are two systems of machines. This is directly from the book.

" Needles in the following systems may be used with this class of machine.

System 332 for machine with normal stroke;

System 332LG - for machines with extra long needle stroke."

How do I determine which one I have?

I also don't really understand the needle number system. Again directly from the book.

"Needles in both of these systems are available with a variety of different shaped points:

* rounded point for showing cloth like materials (system 332 or 332LG )

\ left- hand cutting edge for sewing leather (system 332 II or 332LG II)

/ right- hand cutting edge for sewing leather (system 332 lr or 332 lr lg)"

I get that the L means leather and l or r designates right or left cutting.

Is 332 the class of needle?

I've enclosed a picture of the needle chart because I don't know how to do the boxes for the table.

I want to sew leather within the limits of this machine.

I'm looking for an explanation of the needle sizes.

I need help in determining what machine I have. Regular or long?

About how thick can I expect to sew on this machine?

I would like to get good needles for the machine, recommendations as to that would be appreciated.

I realize this is not a Cobra class 4 and my expectations are not that it is.

I'm not real clear on thread sizes either. Is there some place I can read about that. I have one sewing place here local and Coats and Clark upholstery thread is the heaviest thing they carry and experience is limited to home machines. The next place would be 150 miles so looking at it in person isn't really an option.

post-53835-0-83169000-1412350173_thumb.j

Edited by Oldtoolsniper

Oldtoolsniper,

Based on the color of the machine in that it is grey in color, chances are it was made in 1988. If it was 1966, the color of the machine would have been a light green metallic. The 30-1 is a long arm, small bobbin regular lift shoe patcher. It uses the System 332 needle which are the shorter ones. The 30-5, 30-7 use the longer ones which is the 332LG. The 332 system is the same as a 29x3 system for round points. The 332L is a leather point like the 29x4. I would go to the 135x17 needle system because it is almost exactly the same as a 29x3 or 332 but it is more common, has more sizes readily available, more leather tips available in the 135x16 system.

Know this, the 135x17 is round point, the 135x16 are leather points. Also, the 135x17 is available in a Titanium coating which makes the needles last a whole lot longer. The machine has a lift of 10mm. Depending on what you are sewing, you should be able to sew anything up to 5/16". I have set machines to sew 3/8" but that needs some "special" adjustments.

As for needles, there are only 3 good companies left. (I am not counting Orange needles which are made in Korea.) Grotz-Beckert, Schmetz, and Organ. Both G-B and Organ make 137x17 in Titanium coating.

The Adler will use the same bobbins and shuttles as the 29K Singers. Hope that helps.

glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for that, I'm getting somewhere now. I have some experience with home machines, mainly singer 301's. I own a few of them.

That being said I pretty much used standard thread from any store to sew on the patches for uniforms saving the Marines that worked for me lots of cash.

The thread that came with the machine for the bobbins are a size 19 (see the picture) and I'm just learning about this type of machine. I wish to learn with what I have on hand before I invest in more thread. The bobbins are all pre wound as you can most likely tell. Taking a wild guess I'm looking for a 135x16 size 20 needle for the thread I have on hand. I am looking on EBay and I don't see any size 19 needles.

That is based on the 19 on the bobins and the 18 sized needles I have with the machine. It stitches fine with what is in it right now.

My main concern here is using the correct thread needle combination and not screwing up the machine by using the wrong things or combination in it.

Picture of needles that came with it.

The other picture is the spool of thread I have with it. Not sure what the numbers mean.

post-53835-0-28954700-1412359367_thumb.j

post-53835-0-30236500-1412359388_thumb.j

post-53835-0-09135100-1412359407_thumb.j

Edited by Oldtoolsniper

I notice the hand wheel of your machine so I´d say it is from the 1960´s as it is a grayish-green color. The "more modern" Adler 30-1 have a massive hand wheel and are light gray.

Check the thread / needle chart at the Toledo Sewing website. This will answer your questions I guess.

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

The needles you have will work with the thread you have.

If you are sewing fabric look for 135x17 needles the 135x16 are for leather (as mentioned above).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=135x17&_sop=15&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.X135x17+19.TRS0&_nkw=135x17+19&_sacat=0