MonicaJacobson

Alternative To Austin Leather

Hey Monica, I really like the way you did the gusset on that bag in your picture but I have to say, I think it would be too time consuming...particularly with someone that has hands as large and arthritic as mine. I've seen an alternative stile and I woner if you've ever considered it

ALTERNATIVE GUSSET ATTACHMENT.pdf

Tom, I've seen that (or something like that) on briefcases, and never gotten around to looking up how it was done. Or maybe it's not the same at all. Anyway, it's a great idea, and I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks a lot!

(I agree on the arthritic pain - that method, combined with some other extenuating circumstances (like not using an awl, not using pliers when I should have, and over-using my wrists outside of leatherworking) gave me ten days of severe carpel tunnel pain where I couldn't sew at all. However, I think it's possible to work form the middle and go out and it's not completely terrible.)

Edited by MonicaJacobson

It seems that, by stitching a leather strip onto the gusset like that, it would make it easier to attach the gusset to the bag while, at the same time, making a cleaner seam.

Coincidentally, I was just looking at this bag last night, and regretfully thinking I needed to buy a book to find out how the gusset was done.

post-38542-0-30571900-1426623488_thumb.j

That's exactly how I imagined it would look