I've had this vinagroon mixure done up for a while now, i used it a few times with limited results, i don't get the nice black like i want, more of a brownish color.

My vinagroon mixure is rust color, not black, is it suppose to actually be black?

Anything I can do to make it better? More vinegar or more steel wool?

Refresh it. Throw a steel wool roll in. If it doesn't go away in a few days add vinegar and/or water. Mine is almost clear. Unless I stir it :). Then we get brown. You can pour the stuff through an old T-shirt.

Same here Red...mine is real clear and now has sort of a metal smell to it...it has been working for about 6 months. I filled glass jars with steel wool and topped it off with vinegar, adding more vinegar and steel wool as needed for about 4 weeks, pored the mix through an old sock and let it sit till needed. This has worked well for me...some leather needs to soak a little more than others.

My leather usually comes out a dull black,but a light coat of oil will deepen the back.

Pretty much the same. Mine (about one year old) is somewhat amber with some sort of brown crystals on the bottom of the bottle. It dyes the leather a dark charcoal grey. Once I oil it it turns proper black.

1) the color of the mix has no real bearing on the finished color - In over 50 years of using it sometimes it's black, sometimes reddish brown, sometimes, almost clear.

2) If you're getting gray or brown leather you may not have enough residual tannins in the leather. Apply a coat of strong black tea either before or after applying the vinegar blacking. It's the chemical reaction of the iron and tannins that gives the color

3) Use a mild baking soda wash - just a quick application followed by a rinse with clear water. This helps set the color. Don't leave the baking soda on too lone as it can "burn" the leather leaving it brittle.

4) Apply a coat of your favorite oil on both sides while the leather is still damp. This allows the oil to penetrate deeper/better.

Edited by ChuckBurrows

I used a new mixture yesterday, turned the leather a blue gray not black any suggestions as to why this is?

35 minutes ago, vmi said:

I used a new mixture yesterday, turned the leather a blue gray not black any suggestions as to why this is?

Not enough salts (ferric sulphide) in the liquid. Add more steel wool - or a finer grade steel wool, more vinegar and wait longer for it to pickle.

Or

Not enough tannin in the leather. Try a sample of leather from a different hide.

Edited by Martyn

Thanks Martyn will do

I've had similar results and after all is DRIED give a "light" coat of neatsfoot oil to re condition the leather and will Darken to black

but that's 1 of my  ways, I also during finishing added black shoe polish paste when buffing to even the color