David

New seat...called it Sturgis Cross

Very nice work. How did you do the finish on it? Curious as to what will be durable as a seat and last for a while.

Dave, That tutorial is as awesome as they come! Seeing how you construct your seas and the care and attention to small details is fantastic!

You said you were waiting on the pan... would you mind sharing where you get your pans from? I've looked everywhere for a nice pan at a reasonable price, but can't find one I'm happy with yet...

Thanks for the advice and the inspiration! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hey Troy,

I was waiting on the pan because the customer was sending it to me. The pans I use are the "West Eagle #632148 Slim Line S seat pan narrow". In this instance the customer supplied that exact pan to me. I think they retail for about $60 - $70 dollars.

I know they advertise in The Horse.

Dave

Very nice work. How did you do the finish on it? Curious as to what will be durable as a seat and last for a while.

The finish was all Fiebings spirit dye. A combination of medium brown, saddle tan and buckskin, Then Fiebings antiquing paste to accent the tooling. I think I used Sheridan paste for that. A final coat of Fiebings Leather Balm with atom wax and it is finished.

How long it lasts is kind of up to the owner. It will need cleaning with saddle soap and polishing with some sort of paste. I usually tell folks to use Kiwi neutral shoe polish. It is a product that they can find at Walmart.

Dave

Edited by David

If you look at the photos of my front and back leathers, you will see that they are NOT the same by any means. I arrive at my patterns by covering the front (including padding) and rear with tape. When removed and flattened out it becomes the shape of my patterns. I use 1/4" lace pulled through 1/8" holes. They are about 1/8" from the edge and about 3/8" apart. All my lace is kangaroo. Since the front and rear leathers are not the same it requires a very careful layout of the holes. Lay your holes out around a centerline on the front and back pattern. Measure twice, punch once!

My seat construction will allow padding up to 3/4" thick. If he is wanting a real thick padded seat, contact Roger Harris (Roger here on the LW site) for techniques. or look at the tutorial by Paul Cox.

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/coxseat.asp

Hope this helps,

Dave Theobald

Dave

Thanks so much for your help, I see have alot to cram in before he delivers the pan to me!!!!!

Thanks Dave! I'll do some research... and, just wanted to tell you, that seat is :censored2: awesome!

Hi David,

Awesome seat as always! Great job.

The finish was all Fiebings spirit dye. A combination of medium brown, saddle tan and buckskin, Then Fiebings antiquing paste to accent the tooling. I think I used Sheridan paste for that. A final coat of Fiebings Leather Balm with atom wax and it is finished.

How long it lasts is kind of up to the owner. It will need cleaning with saddle soap and polishing with some sort of paste. I usually tell folks to use Kiwi neutral shoe polish. It is a product that they can find at Walmart.

Dave

Hey David outstanding looking seat. I really like the accent lacing.

Question, do you ever have any problems with the leather balm pulling some of the dye up on the first coat. I allways have a issue with that and sometimes itll blend the dies if I have mutliple colors.

Hey David outstanding looking seat. I really like the accent lacing. Question, do you ever have any problems with the leather balm pulling some of the dye up on the first coat. I allways have a issue with that and sometimes itll blend the dies if I have mutliple colors.
In a word .... yes. It will cause some dye to move around a bit. It especially happens to antiquing paste. Be sure to put a resist on anything you don't want to pick up surrounding stain or antique.Black is especially bad for moving around with leather balm. I have taken up rubbing neat lac into my seats using cloth when I have black on the seat.Thanks for the kind words on the seatDave
Hi David,Awesome seat as always! Great job.
Thanks Tomhaven't seen you around in a while.