The new wallet I made with the help of a pattern that I've modified slightly from the kind Ian Atkinson of Leodis Leather.

The customer wanted a loop to put a chain on and he also wanted to be able to close the wallet completely, so those parts of the design is mine.

I'd love to hear what you think of it, and also what size pricking irons you'd use for a job like this as I have the feeling that mine were a bit too big for this job.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Milton,

You forgot about posting the pictures...

Oh, and the photos...

post-41447-0-32096900-1416856837_thumb.j

post-41447-0-14582500-1416856877_thumb.j

post-41447-0-75092600-1416856929_thumb.j

Quite nice!

The choice for spi's is a matter of preference, really. Some prefer a chunkier stitch, others a more refined, sleekier stitch. 8-9-10 spi would be good ratios although you could go for either larger or finer stitches.

All in all, I think your thread choice/ spi would be okay if weren't for the part where the 'snap strap' attaches to the wallet - it looks disproportionate to me.

You could either use a smaller spi/thread all around and keep the wallet proportions or keep spi/thread size and go for a larger round leather part that attaches to the wallet. It would be neater IMO.

Other than that, good job!

(edit: i somehow posted before writng my post entirely; CURSE YOU KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS!!!)

Edited by Avgvstvs

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys.

By pulling the thread to the inside before burning you mean kind of to the middle of the hole?

Also I don't know the SPI measure other than it's stitches per inch, no need to explain I can google the translation. The pricking irons I used are the 5mm ones from goods japan, I.e. It's 5mm between each prong. I've order a 3mm set which I'd like to use on these smaller projects and leave the 5mm for guitar straps etc. but my main question is about thread sizes. Up til now I've only used Forellenfaden which is a German waxed thread, which has served me well, it's 0.7mm thick. Should I also then use thinner thread for these kind of works and if so have you got recommendations on thickness and where to get it from?

Thanks again for your advice!

Not the inside of the leather, the inside of the wallet. I see where one of the threads ended on the outside. End both of them on the inside.

Ah, that does, of course, make sense!