DavidL

Stitching Is Same On Front And Back?

On some examples on his fb it is angled the upwards to the right on the front and down to the left in others. The picture below the stitch is the upwards on both sides. How would you cast the thread to get it like this?

post-34060-0-55726600-1416891058_thumb.j

thanks kevin, the youtube page has a lot of new info.

I think I figured out most of the ways you can cast the thread. One cast on one side iwraps the thread around each other once. Two cast (one on each side) creates a knot - doesnt work well on thin leathers. No cast at all the threads are separated the most, on a single cast it is compressed a bit and two casts the threads are compressed the most.

When you cast the back thread forward the back stitch is angled up and the front stitch is angled down. Cast the thread towards you back stitch is down and front stitch is up.

I still can't get the thread to go upwards on both backstitch and front stitch. Anyone has done this before?

I still can't get the thread to go upwards on both backstitch and front stitch. Anyone has done this before?

if you watch the video it shows you how to do that

There are also different leather point needles that put a different angle on the thread. The "S" point needles will allow thread to sew the straightest stitch, however they are also the weakest of all the points. They will dull faster, but the stitches will be straight, at least in most cases. Good advice Kevin. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Steve

There are also different leather point needles that put a different angle on the thread. The "S" point needles will allow thread to sew the straightest stitch, however they are also the weakest of all the points. They will dull faster, but the stitches will be straight, at least in most cases. Good advice Kevin. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Steve

DavidL was asking about saddle-stitching in the OP...

The picture is saddle stitching, looks a LOT like machine stitching.

I am more curious than anything. I don't think I had the threads both go in the same upward direction.

thanks kevin, the youtube page has a lot of new info.

I think I figured out most of the ways you can cast the thread. One cast on one side iwraps the thread around each other once. Two cast (one on each side) creates a knot - doesnt work well on thin leathers. No cast at all the threads are separated the most, on a single cast it is compressed a bit and two casts the threads are compressed the most.

When you cast the back thread forward the back stitch is angled up and the front stitch is angled down. Cast the thread towards you back stitch is down and front stitch is up.

hey David, I am not an expert on this, but I don't know that it is possible to get the front to look identical to the back by hand in terms of the way that the thread lays...

this is because when you make the holes with the awl, there is a taper to the awl blade...the hole opening will be larger on the front side of the leather than it will be in the back because of the tapered profile of the awl blade....when the stitches are pulled tight, the thread will lay differently on the front than it does in the back because the holes on the front are shaped differently (wider, broader) than the holes in the back....i don't know if that makes sense, but here's an analogy...

this is an extreme example, but stitch a line of stitches with and without a groover. note how the groove affects the lay of the stitching...hope this helps

thanks for the input to everyone that posted.

Kevin - I tested out the stitching with casting the thread away from me and I got the same results as the one in the picture, thanks for the help.