jlanning215

Braid Newbie Needs Instruction

I'm going to do a 4 strand round braid with a core. My dilemma is that i can't find any info on how to end a braid without the lace looking messy. My intentions are to have a dee ring at the end of each braid. The start is easy because you loop the lace but the end is where I am at a loss. Any good instruction or alternatives.

Thanks

Josh

Hey Josh.

There are many ways to approach this and there are many multi-stranded stopper knots. The attached is only one of those many stopper knots. Here are a few books you should probably invest in if you plan on pursuing braiding.

The Ashely Book of Knots - You can either buy this one online, or you might find it in your local library.

Tom Hall - More Western Tack Tips. Tom covers a great deal in the multi-stranded stopper knots and a variety of fancy ones at that. A little more complicated ones.

post-1307-0-67320200-1417374535_thumb.jp

Brian...

Then back braid and then tie a knot of some type over those back braids. Back braiding is sort of like splicing.

If you want to do a round braid and have a dee ring on each end, I would suggest that you go to a flat braid at the end. Then you back braid around the ring.