what is your take on white dye. I am having trouble with it it does not dye it white it just glazes over it is this all it does or what thanks.

Josh

The spirit-based white dye is pretty difficult to get good results with. The best results I've gotten with it were obtained by airbrushing it on in several light passes, until the color saturated enough to look like a solid white. If you're hand brushing it on, try diluting the first coat 50/50 with xylol, and brushing it on in a light, even coat. Then apply it in light, even coats full-strength until you have the color saturation you want.

I must mention that xylol gives off highly toxic fumes, so use a respirator and work in a room that has good ventilation.

Another possibility to consider if you want to color something white: Krylon spray paint. I've used that on a couple of projects that needed true white, and it works pretty well. Krylon also should be used only in good ventilation and a respirator is always a good idea when working with any solvent-based materials.

Kate