Alexis Sofield

Best Strap Cutter For 12-14 Oz

Hey guys, this is my first post. I need your expertise. I went with a thicker leather ( 12 oz ) to make some straps and the wooded Tandy strap cutter couldnt keep up. I snapped off like 3 blades just to make 1 strap. I dont mind spending money on on nice one. Which model/brand do you guys recommend that'll mow through 12-14 oz consistently. Ive looked at the Master on Weaver leather as well as the CS OSbourn model 51.5. Thanks in advance

We use the Weaver Master and feel that it fits my larger hand the best ..

Apparently the blades are snapping trying to start the cut. If so, first suggestion is to make a slight cut to start the blade, then bevel the cut so the edge will get around the corner of the strap cutter(the one against the wood). With a sharp blade should be a snap on heavy leather.

This might help. I modded my strap cutter to better hold the leather square to the cutter and doesn't require every finger to cut the leather.

Simple dowel rods and glue. I was very surprised how well the rods improved the cutting experience.

post-36503-0-63296500-1420654121_thumb.j

post-36503-0-56155400-1420654123_thumb.j

Edited by Red Cent

Apparently the blades are snapping trying to start the cut. If so, first suggestion is to make a slight cut to start the blade, then bevel the cut so the edge will get around the corner of the strap cutter(the one against the wood). With a sharp blade should be a snap on heavy leather.

This might help. I modded my strap cutter to better hold the leather square to the cutter and doesn't require every finger to cut the leather.

Simple dowel rods and glue. I was very surprised how well the rods improved the cutting experience.

Thanks so much. I understand the start cut, but please explain the beveling the edge. Also, the blades snapped in the middle of my cut.

My plough gauge cuts 12oz like it was butter...you might want to look into getting one of those...

What's the model of your plough

Blanchard.

You might check on Bruce Johnson's page (google it)...he has them for sale from time to time. I very highly doubt you're going to snap its blade. :)

Blanchard.

You might check on Bruce Johnson's page (google it)...he has them for sale from time to time. I very highly doubt you're going to snap its blade. :)

Blanchard.

Great. I'll have to check it out. Thanks

If you are snapping blades in mid cut, I would check to see if the blade is square to the handle. If your blade is causing a wedge effect on the leather, it will push it sideways and break the blade. I have "The Original" wooden strap cutter, and it will cut 12-14 oz. harness leather for fun. The tandy cutter is probably not square, handle and crossbars should be at 90 deg. I had one of the metal strap cutters from Tandy, and returned it after more than a year after ruining more straps than I managed to make.It was pure garbage, and I can't see how anybody can use that type of strap cutter period. But thats just my opinion based on the Tandy version. Gump.

I am having the exact same issue with the Tandy strap cutter as described by the original poster. I am cutting harness leather. I ordered 10/12 oz. but I it is much thicker. I am leveling the straps in a splitter to 0.20" (7/32") but some of it is over 0.3" thick, which would be better than 18oz.

I broke a few blades when I managed to get some side-force on the blade as a result of running it along a edge that wasn't straight. I was able to get a lot more straps per blade as my technique improved, but I am still breaking too many blades in the thick sections. I noticed the two wood slats that hold the blade don't stay parallel even if I clamp them down hard. I also noticed the slot in the handle is not square or flat, but it is concave. This tool may work ok for thinner leather, but it is inadequate for the heavy harness.

I am glad to read advice concerning the Tandy metal draw guage, as I would have considered that had I not heard the advice against it.

I am going to look for a plough guage. The Blanchard is a little pricey but it is still probably more suitable to my budget, work style and production volume than the Weaver Master Tools hand-operated strap cutter.

I read in another (2013) thread that some HO harness had some rawhide in the thicker portions. I found that to be the case on the one end of the HO back I was working where it is about 0.30" thick overall. There is a hard layer of bright rawhide about 0.065" thick. I broke several blades in that. I was having to pull so hard that I could not keep the blade straight.

Regardless, I'm going to look into a sturdier draw or plow gauge. I am leaning toward the draw gauge to keep in the Western tradition, although unlike an overstitch wheel versus a pricking iron, the difference doesn't really have an effect on the resulting style.

I am having the exact same issue with the Tandy strap cutter as described by the original poster. I am cutting harness leather. I ordered 10/12 oz. but I it is much thicker. I am leveling the straps in a splitter to 0.20" (7/32") but some of it is over 0.3" thick, which would be better than 18oz.

I broke a few blades when I managed to get some side-force on the blade as a result of running it along a edge that wasn't straight. I was able to get a lot more straps per blade as my technique improved, but I am still breaking too many blades in the thick sections. I noticed the two wood slats that hold the blade don't stay parallel even if I clamp them down hard. I also noticed the slot in the handle is not square or flat, but it is concave. This tool may work ok for thinner leather, but it is inadequate for the heavy harness.

I am glad to read advice concerning the Tandy metal draw guage, as I would have considered that had I not heard the advice against it.

I am going to look for a plough guage. The Blanchard is a little pricey but it is still probably more suitable to my budget, work style and production volume than the Weaver Master Tools hand-operated strap cutter.

I bit the bullet and purchased the master strap cutter from weaver. Works awesome. I cut 1 1/2 straps from a while side in under 10 min. Works great worth the money.

I bought a H.F. Osborne draw gauge, and fitted it with a new Terry Knipshield blade. It cuts through the heavy HO harness like butter. The blade doesn't bend or break, and it hasn't gone off-course. I've cut about twenty 3/4" straps so far, and they're all perfect. Since I hand sew each strap with 56 stitches, and will only produce a couple hundred a year, this is the right tool for my rate of production. The wooden strap cutter might have been fine for 5-6oz leather, but I'm much more pleased with the HFO draw gauge.

I believe the Knipshield blade is fashioned of modern tool steel that will hold an edge longer than the original carbon steel blades. It was reasonably sharp enough when I received it, and I could probably cut a hundred straps with it. I have a set of Japanese waterstones I will use to sharpen it as needed.

Edited by bkm

Hello. Our AK 20 Strap Cutting Machine has a 14 inch cutting space that is capable of cutting 16 oz. leather as well as paper, plus many other materials. Also, upon request, we offer a reversible motor. Thanks, Steve