bill2750

Singer 29-4 Assembly Problem

I just purchased a 1921 Singer 29-4 in working order. I loaded in it my vehicle and when I got it home I noticed the presser foot tension bar (11" long, #8627) was dislodged from the machine. I recovered the small ball bearing but for the life of me cannot figure how the two parts properly go back into place. It seems simple enough. Does anyone have a high resolution close up picture of that side of the 29-4 they could share with me so I can get back up and running.

Thank you in advance,

Bill

Edited by bill2750

I don't know to attach photos?

in the lower right corner is a brown button "MORE REPLY OPTIONS" and there you can attach files

Edited by Constabulary

in the lower right corner is a brown button "MORE REPLY OPTIONS" and there you can attach files

Thank you, here are the photos. One picture shows the tension bar #8627 and the ball bearing. The next picture shows the bar installed but I don't know what to do with the ball bearing?

Also, I am not able to get my lower thread tension tight enough. The tension screw on the shuttle hook #8603 is turned in as far as it will go. I tried adjusting the upper tension but the stitch is too loose.

post-58683-0-35044300-1421071378_thumb.j

post-58683-0-63041200-1421071379_thumb.j

This machine has no ball bearings. I just have restored a similar 29K1. This must be something else but the 29K does not have any ball bearings.

You probably have to bent the small spring on the shuttle a little bit or even replace it.

BTW - seems this lever is wrong assembled. The curved end has to rest on the end of the other lever

Thank you. I am not quite sure what you mean. Do you have a picture?

You have probably flexed the shuttle spring in the opposite direction by over tightening it, thereby actually loosening the tension. Try backing off on it a half turn at a time to get the tension right. Usually the damage is not permanent when these things are over tightened. This happens frequently in other shuttles by over enthusiastic attempts to adjust them. You also need to be sure you don't forget to pass the thread up through the small hole near the tension spring after you snap it under the spring.

Ah, I think I found a picture of what you are describing. The piece you were talking about should be removed and turned over like in this picture, is that right? This picture is from an older machine.

post-58683-0-69495200-1421076397_thumb.j

You have probably flexed the shuttle spring in the opposite direction by over tightening it, thereby actually loosening the tension. Try backing off on it a half turn at a time to get the tension right. Usually the damage is not permanent when these things are over tightened. This happens frequently in other shuttles by over enthusiastic attempts to adjust them. You also need to be sure you don't forget to pass the thread up through the small hole near the tension spring after you snap it under the spring.

Thank you for the comments. I will try your suggestions. The thread is passed through the hole as you noted.

If you have a metal pitman arm(the rod from the pedal to the lower pulley) ,they have ball bearings in them.

Bob,

I do have the metal pitman arm but I don't think the ball bearing came from there (although I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last). The reason I say this is the ball bearing was clean and shiny as if it had been wiped clean of any lubricant. The rest of the machine has been oiled thoroughly over the years and grease and oil residue is all over it. So my mystery continues. It seems to be sewing alright, though I need to adjust my tensions slightly. It will be a labor of love here for a while as I get familiar with how this machine operates. Thank you for the ideas.