tankerman1967

Zippo Lighter

Hey yall,

I want to try making a zippo case like this. I am thinking I would do a wet form mold of both sides then sew it. But I really do not know. Would I have to thin the leather?? Is there another way??? How would I sew it to make it fit tight?? Do I glue it??

I guess I am not that bright on things like this, so thats why I am turning to yall.

Please help

post-57219-0-96445400-1421415926_thumb.j

Edited by tankerman1967

If I were making it - I would make the leather just a (very) tiny bit smaller inside diameter than the lighter's outside diameter. This would make a compression fit that wouldn't require glue. Leather would probably be 2/3oz thickness. Measure! Measure! Measure! And do several dry fits before assembly to make sure everything is lining up.

Wet forming will depend of if your using veg tan or not. What are you planning to wrap it with?

I have veg tan leather 2/3 oz.

Should work fine! wet forming will give you the best fit. I have some 2/3 oz laying around and a zippo too, I'll try it myself between projects.

Thanks. I am gonna try this week. I start my 9 day work week tomorrow so I dont know how much I will get done. I have a couple projects going now. It took me 4 days to get enough rest to go back to work. I need to win the lotto or start making money selling my goods.

you could take a wood block and make it the size as the lighter to make a pattern with