Computer's not recognizing the digicam's flash drive right now (argh), but I have a failure making a belt.

I'm a pretty "young" leatherworker, and still discovering my particular style. In my case, I'm finding that I

a- like REALLY deep stamping

b- enjoy working within the restrictions imposed by belts (though I always imagine myself as more of a vest/jacket/bag guy

I did a VERY deep stamp job, and wanted to get a two-tone effect. I've done lot of painting with acrylic, and am a rank amateur at dyes. So to fill the deep spaces, I made a wash with my dye, and filled the deep spaces (intending to get a light coloring), and then brushed heavily over the top (to get the main, darker color).

But because I'd heat-burnished the lower areas stamping, I instead got NOTHING down there. Meaning, I have a blue-and-tan belt... usable, and pretty in its own way, but by any competent standard of critique, a complete failure as a piece.

With paints, I know this would have worked. But if I do this in the future, using a paint wash will keep the dye from penetrating up top -- the paint will be there. So unless I say "the hell with it," and go back to the paints I know.... how do I do this?

(I'll reboot Mr. Compy in a bit, and if I can get it to recognize the drive, will upload two pics I took)

DSCN4672.JPG

post-7623-1226362634_thumb.jpg

Edited by Happycrow

A closer view:

DSCN4673.JPG

post-7623-1226362713_thumb.jpg

Block-Out or Resolene on the spots you want lighter. It acts as a resist.

A resist is a good technique, but you could also use an antique or hi-lite stain/dye instead.

Problem is, folks... the areas I stamped down were so compressed/heat-burnt that dye didn't penetrate there AT ALL.

But if I pre-dye,unless it's drum-dyed vegtan (do they even sell that?), it's going to look like ass when the undyed "cliffs" show.

::really stuck::

:(

But because I'd heat-burnished the lower areas stamping, I instead got NOTHING down there. Meaning, I have a blue-and-tan belt... ]

Are you "Heating" the tool while stamping??? If you are you are BRANDING the hide and burned areas on veg tan or any leather will not act the same for wetting, tooling, dyeing.

Case your leather properly and use a heavier maul for tooling.

For very deep looking patterns look into "embossing" there are several books and tutorials, this maybe a better method for you.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider. :red_bandana:

Rick J.

Um... no, not burning the leather. Burnishing, with the tools. I must be phrasing myself very poorly.

Okay, let me try this again.

Ignore everything I previously wrote: how do you get dye to penetrate leather that's been compressed b/c of stamping?

Okay, let me try this again.

Ignore everything I previously wrote: how do you get dye to penetrate leather that's been compressed b/c of stamping?

Technically, you can't. The stamping, especially if you used smooth faced tools instead of checkered or lined tools, will burnish the leather which seals the fibers and tends to not accept dye. you're hitting too hard and too deeply. If you want an extreme raised effect, you might try embossing.

Marlon

Embossing as with a machine? I see some carving that has a three dimensional look, saddles for instance. That's what I'd like to get with my stamping.

SkipJ

Ugh. Not a fan of embossing, unless I were doing production work. Okay, that's what I was afraid of, Rawhide: I'll go back to using paints, then.

Embossing as with a machine? I see some carving that has a three dimensional look, saddles for instance. That's what I'd like to get with my stamping.

SkipJ

There are several styles of embossing. Not with a machine though. One method is to stamp the design first, then push the leather from the back to make it stand out and fill it with a mix of leather dust and rubber cement. Google Robb Barr for the extreme end of this type of embossing.

The other method is called applique embossing and is much more involved, but yields great results. Google work by Peter Main. This is where you create the same cavity as the other embossing style, but you fill it with another solid piece of leather, cut out the whole thing and sew it to a backing (usually leather as well).

Marlon