Sign in to follow this  
froginthefog

Cantle nail pouch

I am needing some instruction on constructing a nail pouch behind a cantle.

It will be for a saddle with a 4"cantle. Can anyone give some insight on this..?

thanks,

kelly

Edited by froginthefog

Kelly,

Are you referring to a leather cantle bag? Some of the saddle shops sell nail or staple pouches that attach to the saddle strings. I have made one of those before. You can see what I'm talking about on the Smith Bros. website. They sell roping and some ranch saddlry. Peruse thier site and I'm sure you'll come up with ideas for your own project.

Kelly,

You might also be referring to a small pocket sewn to the cantle back on straight up bound cantles. If so, I haven't done any, but have seen a couple on some of the repair I work I do. The ones I have seen have a molded pocket sewn to the cantle back before it is put on. The flaps had a tab and slot or keeper affair rather than a buckle. It is probably not any different than making a pocket for a set of doctoring bags.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it would be such as that is on a packers saddle. So it is sewn directly to the back of the cantle leather? Is there a some sort of gusset to it also? Does the pouch have a backing or is the cantle leather the backing?

thanks

kelly

Edited by froginthefog

I would assume if you are building the saddle you would just sew it right to the leather on the back of the cantle. But if you were building one to put on an already built saddle you would just about have to sew a backer on to it. I could see doing this as you could just screw it on to the back of the cantle. For the top you could actually put the screws inside the pocket and just leave one little tab on the bottom center to put a screw thru. Or just leave tabs on all four corners to put screws or screw conchos thru.

Hope that helps,

Tim

Kelly, if you are building a saddle, as Timbo and Bruce said, you would build the pouch as to attach to the cantle cover before the cantle cover is attached to the tree.

I have put them on already built saddles. I built the pouch, pinked the edges then use escutchin pins in the pinking to attach the pouch to the saddle. You may have to remove the skirts for better access to the lower parts of the pouch, it gets tricky. I pre-punch the holes then set the pins with a drive punch. Hope this helps. GH