I was attempting to stitch through a very thick welt when it occurred to me that is I were to wet the leather I might have an easier time getting the needle thru the welt. Well it worked but the water left these ugly stains on the leather. I'm more concerned about the front of holster but I would like to get rid of them altogether. Has anyone run across this problem? My wife said that it was the background paint on the carving that ran but that's not true. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would have posted pictures but it said the file was too big to upload.

Keith

Wet the whole surface so it is even. If you are using tap water, it may contain various minerals that leave traces in the surface of your leather. Demineralized water might not leave stains, but I would still dampen the whole surface just so it is all treated the same.

So try dampening the whole surface to see if it evens out. Else the next step would be lightly bleaching with oxalic acid or lemon juice or ...

There are several threads about water stains and bleaching that you can research further.

Tom