thekid77

Wallets--How To Get Clean Edge If I Extend The Liner Fabric To The Edges?

hey everyone, i was wondering....I want to make a lined bifold and have been told that when lining wallets, you can extend the liner out to the perimeter edges of the wallet....

i haven't done this yet, but I was wondering, how do you give the edges a finished look?

I understand you can use edge paint or edge kote but I don't like those products......I was thinking make clean cut edges with a fresh razor, then dye, resolene to harden, beeswax, then burnish??

what do you all think? any advice or experience you could share would be great!! thank you in advance :)

I would glue the liner first to a slightly larger piece of leather and then cut it to size

Either trim just inside the line of the leather (1/16th or so) or use a rolled edge.

I have seen either folded in towards the interior or folded to size. I've tried folded to size and gets a little hairy for me trying to align the pieces once the glue was sprayed.

I would glue the liner first to a slightly larger piece of leather and then cut it to size

thank you, I will be leaving some excess to cut away :)

Either trim just inside the line of the leather (1/16th or so) or use a rolled edge.

Yea, I was thinking about the rolled edge before, but I don't have the skiving technique down quite yet...more practice!!! thank you!!

I have seen either folded in towards the interior or folded to size. I've tried folded to size and gets a little hairy for me trying to align the pieces once the glue was sprayed.

great ideas, yea i could see how there isn't much room for error but i am going to have to give that a try!! You do great work by the way!! Thank you :)