seanafk

Online Course On Leather Edges And Possibly Other Techniques

Hi all, we’re thinking of creating an online course on how to do traditional finished edges. There are two techniques that we would cover- a European/French method and a Japanese method. People write to our store all the time for advice on best practices and alternates to 'western' techniques.

It seems like most of the visitors here are self-taught, are there other areas that have been difficult to get information on or learn online?

What do you guys think?

That would be a helpful resource, just like how fine leather tools are niche, instructions are even rarer. Who would you get to instruct? To be frank if it isn't made by an experienced leatherworker I would be less inclined to purchase but thats just me. A video by an ex hermes work or peter nitz I would for sure buy.

One thing I been trying to find is a full video step by step of making something like a bag made by a european craftsman like the type of work hermes puts out. The only place in USA to learn this would be from http://www.amblardleatheratelier.com. At 80-100 (about a day rate minus the materials)

I would pay for a 2 hour vid on handle making like the below picture, edge burnishing w/ a machine tool and the edge technique in second picture wrapped together in the making of the bag in a step by step process - basic talk about materials, tools, cutting + aligning, glueing + hardware, construction + stitching, finishing.

A downloadable pattern or plastic pattern that you could buy from your site and a reasonably priced video (made by amblard or a past student) would be perfect.. An hour to 2 hour in-depth video for download for 80-100 bucks would be what I would be interested to pay depending on the amount of detail in the video. A bag like a briefcase or messenger bag would be good.

post-34060-0-20842200-1423967455_thumb.j

post-34060-0-01293200-1423967565_thumb.j

David, another member here "immiketoo" is already producing videos that cover a wide variety of topics and are hosted by several well known master craftsmen and craftswomen. They are typically hosted on GoToMeeting and are live instructions with Q and A, as well as being very affordable - I think they run around $25/session. I'll contact him and get him to chime in here.

Also, Arthur Porter shows how to make that style handle in one of his youtube vids on making leather handbags.

Thanks Mike. I don't want to get in the way of Sean, but I do monthly on-line classes that cover many different types of leatherwork techniques. If your interested, they are live classes you can attend where you have the opportunity to ask realtime questions of the instructors. If you can't attend, there is a video available afterward. Classes are 20 each. Typically they run about an hour and a half. and most of my instructors are Stohlman award winners or winners at Sheridan etc. Chan Geer, Bob Beard, Chris Andre, Paul Zalesak etc. Let me know if I can help.

Mike

Hi all, we’re thinking of creating an online course on how to do traditional finished edges. There are two techniques that we would cover- a European/French method and a Japanese method. People write to our store all the time for advice on best practices and alternates to 'western' techniques.

It seems like most of the visitors here are self-taught, are there other areas that have been difficult to get information on or learn online?

What do you guys think?

While I'm not in the least interested in these video offerings from others around, I would be interested in this.

Please keep us posted.

A resounding yes.