Ylide

Help Me Not Screw Up This Wallet

Happy Monday, Leather experts!

So I've made this wallet exterior for my brother, and I THINK I have a decent pattern put together, but I believe I've used too thick of a leather for both the interior billfold and the pockets. I haven't stitched it together yet because I likely need to remake the interior piece. Any suggestions? I used a 4-5oz veg tan for the exterior and interior billfold, and some thin black chome tan for the pockets. I don't know exactly what thickness it is, I inherited it from a friend. Clearly I need smaller, I can probably brave the weather to hit Tandy's later, any suggestions?

Other design decisions and questions of note:

• I went with a 4" height to better fit the carving. Is this too high?
  • I want to make the pockets have a section underneath them, at least on one side. Is this accomplished by putting a single flat piece under the pockets and stitching them to that, then stitching that piece to the interior billfold?
  • What is a reasonable thickness to have before putting anything in the wallet?

Thanks in advance, all!

post-54547-0-43711400-1424703597_thumb.p

post-54547-0-06544000-1424703598_thumb.p

post-54547-0-46702000-1424703598_thumb.p

post-54547-0-92253300-1424703598_thumb.p

Yes , It appears you have solved some of your own Questions.

I've always liked the two sided pocket design, And it works ok. but would have used as thin a

leather interior as I could get, maybe to 1.5 - 2 oz. for both pockets and insides.

Your ok so far, Size ? 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" might be a good standard to go from. and maybe a 5/8" thickness ?

I would think you would make your carving design to the size of the billfold not the other way around ?

But it will still,work and be ok.

Yes to applying your pockets to a partition, but only sew them on the inside vertical,

then either sew or lace them all around the perimeter, as one.

search this site , there are many, many good ideas from great crafts people and almost as many styles of billfolds.

All in All you have a pretty nice beginning project, It will all work ok, but will be a thicker piece than wanted.

Hope this will help in some way --- Wild Bill46

Thanks for the tips, Bill. I'll pick up some thinner leather and make a new interior.