slipangle

Hand Made Awl Hafts ~ Phase Two

Hi all,

I've been working on some more awl hafts and thought I'd post up some pics here. Had a small piece of European boxwood a friend gave to me about 25 years ago and made a couple out of it as a member here requested one in a lighter wood. Only had the one piece of that wood though so these two are it. Nice wood. Turns very well, has an extremely tight grain and takes a polish like crazy. Kind of wish I had more of it.

Back to my rosewood for the next batch and the foreseeable future. #9 is a "new" shape for me, based on the old Osborne and Gomph rosewood handle tools I have here. I have also, based on an idea from a member, thank you Tim, tried a new approach to the little nickel silver spot for aligning the blade angle, leaving it slightly proud of the wood so that you can feel it, rather than flush where it only provides a visual clue. So far, my jury is still out on that approach as I've found that neither my thumb nor fingers are in the vicinity of the raised spot when I'm holding one of these at the proper angle of attack. Feedback from users will prove the worth.

These have all been sold, thanks very much to all who have purchased one. But I am currently working on some more. Please see the Leatherworking Tools section in the Marketplace if you have any interest and for pricing. And please send me a personal message if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Scott

#s 7 & 8

awls%207amp8-1_zpsher96wmi.jpg

Awl%20haft%209-2_zpsjiyqmmfb.jpg

Awl%20haft%209-1_zps4footfpq.jpg

awl%20haft%2010-2_zpskztbpz20.jpg

Awl%20haft%2010-1_zpsox0kj5j4.jpg

Thanks kindly, Thor.

Absolutelyl beautiful tools. I would definitely be interested when you have more for sale. Re the "positioning" spot: I used a thumbtack on my Tandy awl for the same purpose, although I put it further up on the handle, where my finger would definitely come in contact with it when trying to position it for use.

Hello TigerPal,

Thanks very much. I'll keep you posted. Working on a couple more as we speak. Waiting on a shipment of those Starrett pin vises.

That's an interesting idea on the spot. I found that if the raised spot is aligned with a flat on the blade…in other words, the spot pointing straight up, 12 oclock, my fingers are nowhere near it when I'm using the handle. But having the spot in a location under the index finger, for instance, but not perfectly aligned with the top flat of the blade, is an interesting concept. I'll have to think about this. Thanks!

By the way…. looking at you profile picture, I am intrigued. May I ask about it?

Thanks T-pal

Scott

Absolutelyl beautiful tools. I would definitely be interested when you have more for sale. Re the "positioning" spot: I used a thumbtack on my Tandy awl for the same purpose, although I put it further up on the handle, where my finger would definitely come in contact with it when trying to position it for use.

Profile photo was taken at the "Tiger Temple" in Kanchanaburi, Thailand about 4 yrs ago. The monks there operate a sanctuary for orphaned tigers, and now have at least 40, plus babies (which we had an opportunity to feed - what an awesome experience!!). They have a daily "show" during which folks are allowed to go and pet the tigers (they are chained and fed before the show). Afterwards, they are unchained and leashed, then walked like a dog back to their living quarters. They are groomed daily, and their fur is sooo soft and silky. The King of Thailand sends money from his personal account to help feed them, although donations are accepted, of course.