catskin

Can This Be Done? Electrical

I have a small motor of a domestic sewing machine that I would like to mount to drive a bobbin winder, but if I mount it so it drives the winder in the right direction the motor is in the way of the thread coming from the tension discs. My question is can this motor be reversed. I have reversed other bigger motors by changing wires around but don't know which ones to change on this one, or if it is possible.

Hard to be sure without seeing it, but usually smaller motors are not reversible. The easiest answer is to turn the motor over.

I tried turning it over, it then turns the winder in the wrong direction that's why I want to reverse it. So that it turns the winder right with it turned over.

If flipping the motor is not doable the next answer is twist the belt into an 8 instead of a 0. Not the best answer but very functional. Use an o-ring style belt instead of a v belt. Rubber bands should work since it is just the bobbin winder.

Most small sewing machine motors are universal AC/DC motors and can be reversed. The easiest way is to open the motor and swap the brush housings around and it should reverse the direction.

Thanks for your replies . I intended to use friction drive by putting a thick O-ring on the pulley that way when the bobbin is full it would kick out. So the crossed belt wouldn't be possible. Might have to use a belt yet.

Most small sewing machine motors are universal AC/DC motors and can be reversed. The easiest way is to open the motor and swap the brush housings around and it should reverse the direction.

Would switching the wires on the brushes do the same thing as switching the brush housings?

I use a bobbin winder tire on the motor pulley and a light dimmer switch works great. motor sticks out to the left side looking from the

wheel end of the winder

Thanks for your replies . I intended to use friction drive by putting a thick O-ring on the pulley that way when the bobbin is full it would kick out. So the crossed belt wouldn't be possible. Might have to use a belt yet.

Would switching the wires on the brushes do the same thing as switching the brush housings?

Yep, it will.