Sign in to follow this  
gdonovan

Fly Fishing- Hooks Case

Hello!

Looking to find fly fish hooks case ideas. I will be hand sewing it and hope to use as few rivets as possible, if any. The size will kind of be an educated guess as it's a gift and the hooks are not accessible, however, any ideas on size would also be appreciated. Fly fishing hooks are generally small right? Like 1" long typically?

Thanks in advance for ideas!

I have not made any yet but will be making a fly fishing fly box case next month or so. The one I have seen is wet molded top and bottom and zips together like any other small case. The inside has sheep shearling and cork to attach the hooks. Sorry I can not post any pictures of the one I have found as it is not my work.

Just do a search on the web for fly fishing cases and many examples will pop up.

Depending on what type of fish species your friend goes after will determine the hook size. They can be really small, 1/4"-1/2" long for Trout and up to 2"-3" long for Salmon.

A simple Leather Fly Wallet will be an easier item to build. It's a proven design for storing hand tied flies that has been around for over 100 years. Its not an impressive build but depending on what kind of gift you are after. These simplified leather fly wallets don't look like they take more than a few hours to build vs. a custom wet formed case with hand tooled designs that may take 15-30+ hours to build. Again, sorry I don't have any examples to post.

Are you looking to do a fly wallet like below or were you going to do a leather covered fly box. The fly wallet is relatively easy to do it can be tri fold, bi fold or what ever you want. You can use shearling (or synthetic shearling) as pictured. You can even use magnetic sheets or strips to hold the hook instead of shearling.

post-15001-0-70506700-1426447493_thumb.j

post-15001-0-54552200-1426447558_thumb.j

Thanks to you both for taking the time to help me out.

The tri fold wallet with shearling looks like it would do quite nicely.