alb

Adjusting Tension On Ferdinand Bull

Hi - I have a Ferdinand 900-B that hasn't been used in over a year. I oiled and greased it and I'm having a problem getting the tension adjusted. It looks like the bobbin tension is too tight or the top tension is too loose. I've adjusted the top tension but it isn't making a difference. I need to adjust the bottom tension but I can't figure out how. I don't ever remember having to adjust it before. The manual says to loosen the lockscrew, and then turn another screw (labeled D in the figure). The figure isn't very clear and I can't tell what screw D is...

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ann

First off, take the bobbin and basket out and make sure there are no bits of thread, or needle tip etc. down there. If it was working well before with your bobbin tension setting, it should now too.

Tom

Hi, there are two screw in the bobbin house, one Little locking screw and the tension screw that sits on the Little bobbin thread tension (leaf) spring. You got to open the first and adjust with the other; then lock it again when finished. Take care to clean out the bobbin area/hook Assembly. Make sure your top thread run in true all guides/ holes and between the top tension disk and not has jumped out of it. The thread should snap in between the two disc's on top. Check the top threading and if the thread goes true the take-up retaining spring and its function.

Good luck

Tor

Just reminded from another post here, be consistent with the direction the thread pulls off the bobbin and passes through the tension spring. If it was originally installed to double back, and you flipped it over, it would now have less tension.

Tom