Uncle John

Holster Making/stitch Lines

not sure if its correct (only made one pancake holster) but i used approximately the same distance as the total thickness of leather for the holster. So if I use 2 pieces of 8oz leather for a total thickness of 16oz i'l mark my stitch line in the equivalent of 16oz from all edges. For what it's worth this is also how I determine distance from the edge in all of my projects.

Interested to hear what everyone else says though.

When making a Pancake style holster, or any holster...how do you determine the

placement of the stitch lines?

Trace the outline of the gun. Then make a second outline, 1/2 the thickness of the gun + the thickness of the leather, outside the first.

That gives you a very close approximation. You may find that you need to make adjustments from that point but the resulting holster should be usable. Fine tune the stitch line changes on your pattern.

Dan

Trace the outline of the gun. Then make a second outline, 1/2 the thickness of the gun + the thickness of the leather, outside the first.

That gives you a very close approximation. You may find that you need to make adjustments from that point but the resulting holster should be usable. Fine tune the stitch line changes on your pattern.

Dan

This way works really well. With most modern double stacks being close to the same thickness, I will generally start with a 5/8" allowance on the top side, 1/2" at the trigger guard, then do any adjustments from there. I like to use thick craft paper to get a closer approximation of how the pattern fits, then make adjustments before cutting the leather.

Also, make sure to allow for the thickness of the cylinder on a revolver.

In the end, though, you will likely have to make a couple prototypes before you produce a truly professional result. That is what belly leather is for. :)

Good luck,

Michelle