Slow Learner

Anyone Used The Power Mallett

I have the usual old age problems with my hands and tooling has become almost impossible for me to do. I happened across a tool call the "Power Mallett" and it looks like the thing that will allow me to tool/carve leather. The problem is it is very expensive as hand tools go. Almost $1000.00. A price I would willingly pay if I could try one out but the guy that invented the mallett doesn't live next door so hands on is out of the question. I have seen it demoed on Youtube and it is exciting but he is a pro and the inventor so it would look easy. I have always gotten good guidance here at leatherworker.net so I come here looking for anyone who has seen/know about this little machine and hear your thoughts.

Looks easy from here. Kinda pricey. Figure out a way to put the tools on the end of a SawsAll, hook up a rheostat and ya got 'er.

Looks cool. If I were doing a lot of this work, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Time is money.

I made one a long time ago from a reciprocating carver. It only stamps when you press down.

You have to turn down the bevelers to fit the collet.

I would say it worked ok on long bevelings like a border. Not so much on short bevels.

I made this for a class demonstration. I think I've still got it around in my toolbox.

Cheers!

What is you exact problem - holding the stamps, or using the mallet/maul?

<<<snip>>>so I come here looking for anyone who has seen/know about this little machine and hear your thoughts.

At one of the Pendleton Leather Shows I was able to sit down for about 30-minutes to try the Power Mallet. It does have a learning curve. I tried on different weights of leather and found it worked best for me on heavier leather. Saddle weight leather. Since my work is around 3/4/5 ounce I found it a little too robust. Maybe with more time and experience I could have mastered the lighter weight leather. There was a one-armed man who was looking at the mallet and I think those with physical impairments or muscle limits might benefit from the unit. You wanted thoughts--you have mine.

Bob Stelmack

Edited by stelmackr

What is you exact problem - holding the stamps, or using the mallet/maul?

It is both. After holding the stamp only a short time my hand will cramp and if I try to work through the cramp then I destroy the piece. It is difficult fro me to maintain the stamp grip pressure on the mallet therefor striking the stamp is inconstant making for an ugly project.

At one of the Pendleton Leather Shows I was able to sit down for about 30-minutes to try the Power Mallet. It does have a learning curve. I tried on different weights of leather and found it worked best for me on heavier leather. Saddle weight leather. Since my work is around 3/4/5 ounce I found it a little too robust. Maybe with more time and experience I could have mastered the lighter weight leather. There was a one-armed man who was looking at the mallet and I think those with physical impairments or muscle limits might benefit from the unit. You wanted thoughts--you have mine.

Bob Stelmack

Thanks Bob,

The demo says that turning down the controller helps with the thinner leather. Were you able to turn it down when working on the thinner stuff? I have nothing but time to practice at least as much as God will allow. Thanks for your thoughts.

I made one a long time ago from a reciprocating carver. It only stamps when you press down.

You have to turn down the bevelers to fit the collet.

I would say it worked ok on long bevelings like a border. Not so much on short bevels.

I made this for a class demonstration. I think I've still got it around in my toolbox.

Cheers!

May I as which carver you made it from. I have an old Harbor Freight hanging grinder but it is not reciprocating tool. What king of reciprocating carver did you use?

Thanks Bob,

The demo says that turning down the controller helps with the thinner leather. Were you able to turn it down when working on the thinner stuff? I have nothing but time to practice at least as much as God will allow. Thanks for your thoughts.

I played with all the setting, but perhaps without enough time I didn't get it to do what I needed. Could have been operator error ;-)

Since beveling or matting is the biggest time element for me, I thought that the Power Mallet would be the key. I have solved the beveling issue with some custom made Delrin bevelers that fit into a swivel knife in various widths and angles. Sort of like the old Tandy nylon swivel knife molding tool. Norm Lynds make my custom tools.

As for matting, I've settled on Bob Beards pebble grain and they seem to work the best for me to eliminate that repeat pattern that seems to plague my use of other matters.

Bob Stelmack

Hello SL. I used an Auto-Mach reciprocating carver. they run about $300 but I think Ryobi makes a less expensive model.

Would a larger diameter be easier to grip?

When time permits, take a look at the master Carver offering I have for sale on this site. It has a reciprocating handpiece, along with other types and price is very low for what you will be getting.

Never thought of using this for stamping but perhaps it could be done. Was not able to get it into use so cannot tell much more about it.

God Bless and good luck.

Ray