josegloom

132K6 Needle And Hook Adjustment

Hello All,

I purchased a beautiful vintage Singer 132K6 with table at an auction for $50. I took it in and had it serviced, but it doesn't look like they cleaned it etc. Not so sure they did much other than thread it and ran a few stitches. I am doing some upholstery work on my boat. (BTW, I would like to thank a poster for making the manual available on this site.) I recently changed the needle from a large scarfed needle to a new Organ 216x1, #19 running poly 92 thread. I have noticed the machine will rarely skip a stitch. I cannot find anywhere in the manual instructions on where to adjust the timing or hook, only the needle bar. Not many resources out there, thinking about selling it and buying a consew. Thoughts or instructions? Thank you

Jaybird

Thanks for your PN but I reply here.

Usually you just have loosen the 2 screws on needle bar clamp and adjust the needle bar the way that the hook meets the needle scarf when the needle bar is in the upwards movement. My needle bar moves up approx. 2.5mm - 3mm before the hook tip meet the needle scarf right in the middle of the scarf. Distance between needle and flat side of the hook tip should be as close as possible. At my 133K it is approx. 0.25mm

The 133K looks a bit different behind the faceplate but the needle bar should be the same.

My 133K was a bit tricky to adjust properly. I just bought it last year and it needed a lot of fine tuning on the distance between hook and needle. I had to adjust some bushings and gears but now it sews very well considering that this beast was made in 1932!!!

post-31854-0-65242700-1427273463_thumb.j

post-31854-0-92238400-1427273465_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

Oh - I forgot to mention that the needle bar has two timing mark (I hope yours has them). The upper mark should be barely visible in the lowest position of the needle bar and the lower mark should be barely visible when the hook tip meets the needle scarf. But some additional fine tuning may be necessary.

• Picture 1 shows the lower timing mark in the lowest position of the need bar - upper mark is barely visible (you cant see it on the picture).
  • Picture 2 shows the lower timing mark when the hook meets the needle scarf.

Thats the timing my machine works fine with. Hope this helps.

Too bad you areon the other side of the pond (I guess) otherwise I´d buy your machine :lol:

post-31854-0-45004000-1427280350_thumb.j

post-31854-0-04058200-1427280356_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

The new organ needle is smaller and doesnt have a scarf. Do I need to make any adjustments if it sewed fine with larger scarfed needle? Thanks for the reply

Yet I have not used 216x1 needles, I´m using 328 (214x1) needles and I honestly do not have #19 needles for my machine.The smallest size I´m using with my 133K is #24.

Mine is set up for using #25 METWAR needles (old brand) but when I switch to #24 SCHMETZ needles the hook is rubbing on the needle though the needle size is smaller. Its just a tiny tiny bit but it is rubbing. Not sure if this happens with #24 METWAR needles as I don´t have them. I think it is just because of using different band needles....

The 214x1 needle system is a bit different as the shank thickness varies - the larger the size the thicker the shank. And when I remember correctly the 216x1 has the same shank diameters so it could be possible that you have to adjust the hook when you are using thicker needles but I´m honestly not 100% sure

Hello All,

I purchased a beautiful vintage Singer 132K6 with table at an auction for $50. I took it in and had it serviced, but it doesn't look like they cleaned it etc. Not so sure they did much other than thread it and ran a few stitches. I am doing some upholstery work on my boat. (BTW, I would like to thank a poster for making the manual available on this site.) I recently changed the needle from a large scarfed needle to a new Organ 216x1, #19 running poly 92 thread. I have noticed the machine will rarely skip a stitch. I cannot find anywhere in the manual instructions on where to adjust the timing or hook, only the needle bar. Not many resources out there, thinking about selling it and buying a consew. Thoughts or instructions? Thank you

Jaybird

Hello everyone :helpsmilie:

I'm a newbie and am learning heaps from you guys - Thank you.

Despite my best efforts, I can't locate the operators manual for the 132k6 that josegloom mentioned...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I am new, tonight, to this page.  I have a 132K6 that has had a hissy fit and WILL NOT sew.  In the absence of any detailed information I have made a few adjustments, which has taken the slack out of various bits, but now the thread breaks when I try to sew.  Can't even get a stitch to see if the timing is in the right place because it breaks before I get a chance to see if it is working.  I know everything you read says the hook has to be a certain distance above the eye of the needle, but before the machine threw it's toys out of the cot, the sweet point for timing was actually at the top of the cutout part of the needle.  The "call a serviceman" option is not an option.  Our last machine serviceman was a WW2 veteran who died several years ago with no apprentice.  There are a few about who work on domestic machines but that's it.  It's me and Dad and we've both pretty much run out of ideas and we have things we need to sew!  Fortunately we have a second machine which will have to fill in the gap until we get the other one working again.  But it only came out because it wasn't working very well.  Any suggestions?  By the way, thank you so much for the opportunity to download the 132k6 manual.  I had a parts list, but at least this book should confirm I'm doing something right (or wrong)!