Don Ayres

I Love This Style Of Bracelet , Help Wanted

Im new to the braiding world but am getting pretty good at it, ive made a few 6 strands braclets with glue-in clasp at the ends and have given them away as gifts to my 4 children, but i aspire to make a bracelet in 6 strands like the one pictured,except with the simple 6 strand braiding pattern,can anyone give me some good advice from starting the loop, to picking a good nice looking but simple end knot, pictures and videos help me the best, im more of a gotta see it type person.

Thanks a bunch, braiding is awesome and it keeps me outta trouble,lol

Don A.

post-12646-0-90553400-1428240188_thumb.p

Sorry for the double post ,i couldnt figure out how to edit my first post, so tbe second post is the one thats more accurate.

I would search u tube for whip making. Looks quite similar and there are some good ones on there

Ive done that. But would like a little more help with this, but thanks for your reply.

This will show how to do a turnback for the loop http://myriam.dakotabraiding.com/Tutorials/Leash/Leash.html You'll have 6 strings instead of 4 but this will give you the idea. You may want to cover the turnback with a cowboy knot/button, or start a 3 strand braid in the middle of your strings, for whatever length you want the loop, then splice both ends of your 3 strand braid together to start your 6 strand body.

I'd say a 4 bight turk's head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wsCzcjHkss&list=UU2oqLZqnLHtteDW4Xk9NtzQ&index=3 would be the easiest button to tie over your termal knot at the end.

If you don't have it, you should get Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia. Lots of good stuff in there. Hope this helps, Bret.

Did you get the books I recommended to you when you posted this same question a couple of weeks ago yet??

The post is asking for direct advice from users of this site from their experience. Also asked for videos. Neither is in the book u suggested. Sometimes people need more than one opinion from more than one source. Do not assume people don't read before posting. Perhaps they don't like your suggestion and want another. Your comment does not help at all.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=62368&hl=

Ok, well there's no point creating a duplicate thread when he already posted exactly the same thing in the thread I linked to...

ALSO, he said he learns best by pictures and video. The books I recommended have visual instructions to do exactly what he's trying to do.

So actually yes, my post was helpful...unlike yours.

Edited by 25b

Im new to the braiding world but am getting pretty good at it, ive made a few 6 strands braclets with glue-in clasp at the ends and have given them away as gifts to my 4 children, but i aspire to make a bracelet in 6 strands like the one pictured,except with the simple 6 strand braiding pattern,can anyone give me some good advice from starting the loop, to picking a good nice looking but simple end knot, pictures and videos help me the best, im more of a gotta see it type person.

Thanks a bunch, braiding is awesome and it keeps me outta trouble,lol

Don A.

There are alot of videos and articles about paracord braided bracelets and gear that can be directly related to leather braiding. Search for rope braiding or paracord braiding and such. The leather braiding world is small and shrinking but there are cross-applicable videos. The patterns are the same. Sometimes its even easier to see paracord videos because they use several string colors in some videos, making it easier to follow a particular strand through the braiding or knots.

Here is a search for 6 strand paracord braid:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=6+strand+paracord+braid

25b:

This is helpful:

This will show how to do a turnback for the loop http://myriam.dakotabraiding.com/Tutorials/Leash/Leash.html You'll have 6 strings instead of 4 but this will give you the idea. You may want to cover the turnback with a cowboy knot/button, or start a 3 strand braid in the middle of your strings, for whatever length you want the loop, then splice both ends of your 3 strand braid together to start your 6 strand body.

I'd say a 4 bight turk's head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wsCzcjHkss&list=UU2oqLZqnLHtteDW4Xk9NtzQ&index=3 would be the easiest button to tie over your termal knot at the end.

If you don't have it, you should get Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia. Lots of good stuff in there. Hope this helps, Bret.

this is not:

Did you get the books I recommended to you when you posted this same question a couple of weeks ago yet??

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=62368&hl=

You basically said, "Why are you asking again if you didn't take my advice before?"

Sometimes people are looking for other opinions than yours, or are trying to elaborate on what you have said, while restating for clarity. Let them. Also, I never would have seen his post to help and perhaps neither would Bret (millwright) if it wasn't reposted. People use media in different ways. Leave the spankings to the moderators.

Then they need to SAY THAT they need/want/must have elaboration and in the ORIGINAL THREAD.

Then, all the info including previous suggestions would be in the same thread. If he replies to his original thread, everyone that didn't happen to see it the first time would've seen it when he bumped it.

Posting the same questions in multiple duplicate threads only makes it harder for future users to search and find information.

Wow...not really a difficult concept.

Edited by 25b

Thanks to everyone that answered,and 25b whats with the hostility, ???

I posted this topic because i am still struggling to make this bracelet even though i had basically asked this question before, just relax, were all here to learn and help one another, and not to pick and say i already answered this question or where a thread belongs, i will keep trying to make this bracelet, but if i am still having trouble i may ask for more help and dont want to feel intimidated.

Well here's my two pennies worth.

The loop end is a 4 strand round braid brought together and transitions to an 8 strand round braid. When done with the 8 strand round braid flatten it out with a roller pin from the kitchen. Then you put a finish knot on the end so that it will fit the loop end.

Brian...

post-1307-0-44309100-1428357374_thumb.jp

post-1307-0-46809000-1428357377_thumb.jp

post-1307-0-69200600-1428357380_thumb.jp

Edited by KnotHead

Thanks KnotHead, but im looking to use only 6 strands and keep it round not flat, but thank you anyway