Severase

Should I Buy A Juki 1541 Or A Consew 206

I make leather handbags and needs a smooth walking foot that will not cost me much when it's time for a tune up but will do a great performance and could handle up to 4-5oz of leather but will NYC stratch my leather as I sew. Any suggestions. At first I was thinking of the juki du1181 or the t 111-155 but decided against them after reading the forum.

Either of those two will be perfect! If given the option, buy one with a "safety clutch" that disengages the hook if there is a thread jam.

It is advisable to get the machine demonstrated at the dealership. This way you will know the basics and avoid headaches down the road.

Thank you so much for the response. Now the only thing is I'm buying it from online and im afraid of getting a juki with all the upkeep n expensive repair if need be.

Definitely, get the 1541s - with the safety clutch. Does the dealer or seller offer phone support?

I will have to find out if he does. He currently is selling it for 1390 with safety clutch I called and asked after your posting. How often should I need a tune up for that machine? Is the upkeep expensive. I'm scared of juki for some reason. Also it comes with a servo motor which I read is best from your forum here.

It come broken up and I have to assemble it, I may have to hire a person to.

It come broken up and I have to assemble it, I may have to hire a person to.

Actually it's $1490

The Juki has the advantage of being a current production machine (or at least fairly recent) which means that you should have no problems with finding parts OR service. As to how long it should run? If you perform the BASIC maintenance such as oiling, tensioning the belt when needed, etc., it should last for years and years and years. Although it isn't being used, I have a early 1900's Champion shoe stitcher...it was in poor condition, but a little TLC and needs ONLY some needles, awls, and thread and it would be ready to sew. When you buy a machine, buy quality under the guise of "buy once, cry once". It's very rare to see anyone post on this forum and say "I am soooo ticked off...I bought a machine and the dang thing NEVER breaks down".

If you haven't done so, check out Nick-o-sew in the ad banners at the top of the page.

I've purchased about 20 Juki's in the last year. The quality is fairly consistent. It's more important that you learn how to use and maintain your machine. I usually recommend folks to seek out upholstery shops and simply ask them if you can pay for an hour of their time to go over the basics. This has worked for many people I've helped over the years. Most shops have a variety of machines and if you're pleasant and don't mind paying a bit for their knowledge, you can get some really good instruction that is almost impossible to achieve on the internet. It doesn't have to be the exact machine you end up getting. Have fun!

Regards, Eric

Lol at twinoaks that's true no one will ever say that. I will check them out and see what they offer.

Hi Eric thank you so much. There are plenty of upholstery shops by me and why not. I will definitely ask. Thank you so much everyone.