thekid77

Anybody Hand Stitched A Halter For A Horse?

Hey friends,

Have any of you out there hand stitched a leather halter? If you have, can you share your experience, the challenges, what you used?

I'm a very patient person and I know it's a lot of leather to go through, but if anybody could share advice for stitching a halter by hand i'd appreciate it....

To be clear, I do not want to use a sewing machine :)

Thank you in advance for sharing!

A halter? No. But I did hand sew a little bit of tack repair. My advice somewhat general, but here it is: Make some finger protectors. PLAN your stitch lines, and put a binder clip or clothes pin on any trouble areas - which piece goes over which, etc. Use a reasonable length of thread (about 3 feet at the most), pre-cut your strings, and don't try to stretch them an extra few stitches. When the thread starts looking dirty, splice in the next piece. Don't sew with a cat in the room. Use an overstitch wheel when you're done. Post pics of the finished piece.

A halter? No. But I did hand sew a little bit of tack repair. My advice somewhat general, but here it is: Make some finger protectors. PLAN your stitch lines, and put a binder clip or clothes pin on any trouble areas - which piece goes over which, etc. Use a reasonable length of thread (about 3 feet at the most), pre-cut your strings, and don't try to stretch them an extra few stitches. When the thread starts looking dirty, splice in the next piece. Don't sew with a cat in the room. Use an overstitch wheel when you're done. Post pics of the finished piece.

Thank you for the advice Twin!!! Much appreciated :D

This is an interesting video, although not much on instruction.

Art

Get a stitching pony. I don't know what tools you have but would be happy to help you out. Making one is not hard but time consuming. Check out you tube videos. What is your experience level?

This is an interesting video, although not much on instruction.

Art

hey Art!! very interesting video indeed!! thank you for sharing!!!

Get a stitching pony. I don't know what tools you have but would be happy to help you out. Making one is not hard but time consuming. Check out you tube videos. What is your experience level?

hi Buster, yes, I do have a stitching pony. I have been doing leatherwork for about two years and I have since gotten better at dyeing, finishing, beveling edges, making various patterns, and hand stitching. I have put many hours into hand stitching and it's my favorite part of finishing a project, but I don't have much experience stitching leather that thick.....any experience you could share would be awesome. I really want to stick with doing everything by hand (no sewing machine)...i'm very patient :)

This any use to you?

I presume your halter is our headcollar.

thank you Gary!!! Yes, this is very helpful indeed!!