Walesy

Hello! How Do I Get Started In Leather Working?

Hello!

I am new to all of this. I'm a woodworker but now want to start leather working. I want to carve leather and to sew things like handbags, wallets, and maybe holsters and chaps down the line.

I have been looking at the Tippmann Boss but really have no idea if that is the best choice. I'd welcome your opinions.

Thanks!

Walesy

Hello Walesy, and welcome to the forum, in my opinion you will need to buy a lot of other tools before a sewing machine unless that is what you really want, most of the items you say you want to make can be hand stitched, and remember a hand stitched saddle stitch is actually a stronger stitch than the hook stich of a sewing machine, do you already have all the other leatherworking tools?Here is a link to a video by master leather craftsman Nigel Armitage for some inspiration, he also has many other fantastic videos on you tube about hand stitching, now do not get me wrong i am not saying there is anything wrong with sewing machines for leatherworking, just that is is not the only way. In my own opinion if hand stitching is good enough for Nigel then it is good enough for me. I do not know a lot about sewing machines but i do know that you cannot use an ordinary domestic type, you need a much more heavy duty type and they do not come cheap.

Edited by JAZZMAN

If you have not done any leather projects yet, I strongly recommend doing a few projects before you go for a machine of any kind. Doing a few projects will tell you if you really want to do leather and it will tell you what kind of projects you really want to do. It will also give you a better idea of what kind of stitcher or sewing machine you want. Even a Boss is a serious investment around 12-$1400.00 new. You will need to make a couple of hundred dollar investment in leather and some basic tools before you are even ready to stitch anything.

Hi Walesy,

I've been doing leatherwork since 2009 and have not yet required the use of a machine, and prefer not to use them unless I was going to be making a lot of items for as a business. As has been mentioned, I'd suggest mastering the saddle stitch. If after some experience you find you would like one to speed things up I'd probably go for a servo operated machine designed for thick leathet that can run like a regular machine and also do single stitches. Just my thoughts.