Charles1

What Thickness Of Leather Can A Pfaff H3 "b" Machine Sew?

What thickness of leather can a Pfaff H3 "B" machine sew?

The way in which Pfaff designates its machines is rather confusing to me - particularly with respect to the designation of H2 vs. H3 machines that bear the designation B vs. C.

In another thread, shoepatcher said, on 19 Feb 2014 - 1:59 PM, said:snapback.png

The H3 means it is a normal lift. H4 means high lift -meaning the feet would lift higher for more clearance under the feet. The "B" means it is a B class. C is heavier than a B class, C/D is heavier in sewing capabilities than C, etc. The D class was the heaviest model in the 335.

From both the Pfaff 195 and 545 parts manuals, I see that H2 means "7 mm. of fabric clearance".

While the 195 parts manual does not show an H3 designation (even though there are 195 H3 machines), the 545 manual shows H3 as giving "11 mm. of fabric clearance".

So I presume that a 195 H3 would also give 11 mm of fabric clearance.

So, I conclude, H3 machines have quite a lot more clearance than H2 machines.

That appears to say that H3 machines can sew thicker materials - but if one considers the "B" or "C" designation as well as the H3 designation, you are led to the conclusion that (despite its greater fabric clearance) an H3 machine might not be able to sew any thicker material than an H2 machine.

H3 machines (both 195 and 545) can be designated either "B" or "C" - and the manual indicates that that the "B" or "C" means that they can be set up either to sew "medium-weight materials" ("B") - or medium-heavy materials ("C").

So, that suggests, even if you have a 195 H3 machine with a "C" designation, you can not sew any thicker material than you could sew with a 195 H2 machine with a "B" designation. Both the H3 and the H2 machines would only allow you to sew "medium weight material".

So that raises a very practical question.

Assuming that you find a 195 H3 machine that also bears the "L" designation (i.e. it is for leather) what thickness of leather can you expect to be able to sew with a 195 H3 "B" machine? ... and what thickness of leather can you expect to be able to sew with a 195 H3 "C" machine?

Does the thickness that you can sew depend on the hardness of the leather?

... and can you do anything that is simple to modify an H3 "B" machine to make it perform more like an H3 "C" machine ... that is, can you change it easily so that it will sew a greater thickness of leather?

Thanks

Edited by Charles1

I made a typing mistake in the above. What I meant to say was:

So, that suggests, even if you have a 195 H3 machine with a "B" designation, you can not sew any thicker material than you could sew with a 195 H2 machine with a "B" designation. Both the H3 and the H2 machines would only allow you to sew "medium weight material".