Hi Guys, 

That's my website mentioned.  I just put up some new photos of the CB-818 Strap cutter.  Have a look at them.  Let me know if you have questions.  We also have a lifetime warranty, although these machines are so simple, there's very little to go wrong with them.   http://www.solar-leather.com/cb-818-belt-fringe-cutter/

Alexander

I decided on the AK 20. Winds up it comes with a foot controller after all lol. Oh well I'm sure I can get used to it.

I ran a couple test pieces through and it seemed fine. But I just ran about a 9" X 48" piece of 6/7oz double shoulder through it for 1" straps and about 3 straps in on either side and in the middle few inches of the pieces, it didn't cut all the way through. Is there a trick to this or an adjustment - am I doing something or not doing something?

Hi Mike,

You might want to adjust the depth of cut, or actually the bottom roller height.  There is a black lever to the right of the cutting throat that should be all the way up.  If that is not the case then put it all the way up and try again.  If it is all the way up, you can adjust the eccentrics (like cams) on this lever (under the feed table) to give you a little more lift on the bottom roller.

Art

Right, but all the blades are dug into the bottom roller. The ends are fine. Why would the middle be the problem?

Could be any number of things.  Bent bottom roller or knife shaft.  Knives not all the same diameter.  Where did you get it?

Art

The Leather Machine Company. I just got it last week. It's brand new. 

Edited by Mike516

I REALLY didn't want to call them again. I feel like that pain in the butt customer that buys something then they're calling every day with a problem. I never thought I'd be "that guy". Good thing that guy Dave that works there is a saint.

He said it's the adjustment you said Art. But the instructions were either translated word for word or they were written by someone for who english isn't their first language. Either way I can't make heads nor tails of them.

Call them again and again and again and again and again and again until the darned thing works right. If mine had that problem right out of the box, I'd pull the shafts and check them for straightness. If it doesn't work and it's Chinese, there's a good chance a bad part as opposed to a bad adjustment is the culprit. If you are close to them, take it back. If not, then you are the mechanic.

Art

Different coasts, so sending it back isn't an option. I guess I'm going to have to try their suggestion and go from there. And I will keep calling as long as I have a problem. I'm not real mechanical with machines like this.

Good luck with it.

Art

Thanks Art. Looks like the adjustment worked for now. How long did your blades and nylon roller last? Have you ever had to change them?

On 5/26/2015 at 5:57 PM, Art said:

The first thing you should consider is that you really need both hands to control the leather, especially if you are strapping a side or back. The AK-20 from Cobra is 20" width, their splitter (not slitter) is 14" width. The Morpan is narrower so that lets it out and the Weaver is hand crank, though you could rig up a motor. For no other reason than I have one and it works, get the Cobra AK-20.

Art

I'm still having issues with this machine. I'm starting to think it was a big mistake buying one, especially from across the country. And The Leather Machine Company isn't a whole lot of help. I've been trying to get 3/8 inch spacers for months, I spent $2000 on this machine and I'm still cutting 3/8 straps by hand. Does that sound right, or am I being unreasonable?

From the day it arrived it has been leaking oil. They told me it was probably overfilled before it was shipped. Art, can you tell me where the oil level in the little window on the right side of the machine is? Mine is well below the red dot. The manual it came with is useless, but I figured the red dot was the low oil warning dot or something. They say it's not like a sewing machine and it doesn't use oil, but mine is puddling under the gears.

First, make your spacers to your specs.  Find the right pipe or tubing, cut it off, and chuck it in the lathe and turn it to length.  The inside diameter is important (has to fit the shaft), the outside is not particularly important.  The ends have to be square.

If you have ever had an older Harley, you just learn to live with it.  Oil level sounds right, it is probably a gasket.

Take one of your spacers to the metal supplier (Posner here) and tell them you need a length of THIS.  That's 20' you'll have to buy, so take a Sawzall, Posner has one on the loading dock because not everyone comes by with a flatbed.  You can use a cutoff saw, Portaband, or a Sawzall and then go at it with a file if you don't have a lathe.  You can also buy shorter lengths from MSC, McMaster-Carr, or maybe even Grainger, but it will be more expensive.

Art

13 hours ago, Art said:

First, make your spacers to your specs.  Find the right pipe or tubing, cut it off, and chuck it in the lathe and turn it to length.  The inside diameter is important (has to fit the shaft), the outside is not particularly important.  The ends have to be square.

If you have ever had an older Harley, you just learn to live with it.  Oil level sounds right, it is probably a gasket.

Take one of your spacers to the metal supplier (Posner here) and tell them you need a length of THIS.  That's 20' you'll have to buy, so take a Sawzall, Posner has one on the loading dock because not everyone comes by with a flatbed.  You can use a cutoff saw, Portaband, or a Sawzall and then go at it with a file if you don't have a lathe.  You can also buy shorter lengths from MSC, McMaster-Carr, or maybe even Grainger, but it will be more expensive.

Art

Thanks Art but this isn't going to happen. They were supposed to come with the machine so why should I be making them? I understand if I want something done right and all that, but first off I'm not real good making stuff like that and second they should be providing them for me. It was part of the package and the reason I bought the thing new and not used from someone else. And why I didn't buy the cutters that only came with metric spacers. I spoke to them and they assured me I could get standard size spacers in any size I needed.

I was texting with a guy that works there and he told me the oil was overfilled at their shop by them and I could siphon some out and let it run down and stop by itself. He said the red dot isn't a low oil warning and he reminded me I have a lifetime warranty and not to worry, but really how the heck am I supposed to get this thing out my door if I have to send it back to them? The delivery guy won't do anything inside the house due to insurance. I'm not a kid anymore and work in my shop alone. I don't know, I'm getting frustrated with this whole thing. This was supposed to save me time but it feels like it's costing me more time than it's saving.

It all started when the machine came set up for 1 inch straps but all the extras were metric spacers. I told 2 different people over there that all my hardware is in inches and the sizes I needed. Why would they send metric spacers? I don't know, they seem really really nice but it's hurting my business at this point and I still have to cut all my 3/8 inch straps by hand.

1 hour ago, Mike516 said:

Thanks Art but this isn't going to happen. They were supposed to come with the machine so why should I be making them?... they should be providing them for me. It was part of the package and the reason I bought the thing new and not used

they seem really really nice but it's hurting my business 

Sorry to hear that Mike.  Little help maybe, but I just wanted to say THANKS for being ONE more person who still thinks.  So much of the planet (and this forum) goes on about "customer service"... but some of us remember when 'customer service' meant giving you what you paid for... not a smile and a nice story when it's wrong.  Don't "fix" it later.... give me what I paid for the FIRST time!

You (and me) wouldn't buy a NEW car and then expect to have to "fix" it.  I'm with you -- if you wanted to 'fix' and "work on" something, coulda just bought one used at half the cost.  Particularly if the "warrranty" means we'll have 'nice' conversations on the phone (without fixing the problem).

Not aimed at any particular scavenger retailer, but I dare say I could be nice all day too if I had a couple thousand of your dollars in my pocket ;)

Incidentally, I'm a former tool-and-die maker, so I actually CAN fix things.  But when you pay full retail for new, makes no sense.

I'm very "one-way" about it... I'll fix it myself OR I'll pay you to do it.  But not both.  I do not pay you AND fix it myself.

Edited by JLSleather

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Sorry to hear that Mike.  Little help maybe, but I just wanted to say THANKS for being ONE more person who still thinks.  So much of the planet (and this forum) goes on about "customer service"... but some of us remember when 'customer service' meant giving you what you paid for... not a smile and a nice story when it's wrong.  Don't "fix" it later.... give me what I paid for the FIRST time!

You (and me) wouldn't buy a NEW car and then expect to have to "fix" it.  I'm with you -- if you wanted to 'fix' and "work on" something, coulda just bought one used at half the cost.  Particularly if the "warrranty" means we'll have 'nice' conversations on the phone (without fixing the problem).

Not aimed at any particular scavenger retailer, but I dare say I could be nice all day too if I had a couple thousand of your dollars in my pocket ;)

Incidentally, I'm a former tool-and-die maker, so I actually CAN fix things.  But when you pay full retail for new, makes no sense.

I'm very "one-way" about it... I'll fix it myself OR I'll pay you to do it.  But not both.  I do not pay you AND fix it myself.

Yea, I didn't want to have to make anything. If I could, I wouldn't want to, but I can't and still don't want to.

There was one machine I could have had about an hour from here I could have gotten for I think it was $1100 no dies or blades and if anything was wrong with it I would have had to figure something out. So I bought new and I'm still having issues with oil everywhere unless I want to drain it and missing spacers I'm waiting months for. I understand problems with suppliers but I don't call a client and tell them my supplier doesn't have the stain they want and I ran out. I make sure I have enough of it on hand.

With my business, me being the seller, I have to be nice and provide customer service. I dare say I kiss my clients butts, even when they're difficult. Why then, as a buyer don't I receive the same courtesy? I feel like I still have to kiss butt as the buyer. And I don't feel it's so unreasonable to expect what a seller promised me.

It's getting so I want to switch to something where I provide a service with no need of machinery or supplies. My customer service is on point, that should be enough to carry me. I know I would pay more for exceptional customer service. I came from a time when you shook hands and delivered on a promise because your word was your bond. Nowadays if it doesn't make economic sense you won't even get what you paid for.

Looking for a 4", manual (hand-cranked), strap cutter such as Mast Hardware. Condition unimportant as long as I can repair it. I'm in MA and willing to travel to pick up. Thank you!